2004 Saturn Ion overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually drive on the highway and never have overheating problems. But while driving in heavy traffic recently my car has been overheating. I suspect the fan isn't turning on and I have never seen the fan run. After sitting still with the AC running after about 1 minunte the engine will drop rpms and the brake pedal will become much softer for 1/2 a second and the AC will turn off. As soon I start moving again the AC resumes.

Any guesses? Should I take her to autozone to see if any codes popup? The CEL hasn't come on yet but the needle got close to red the other day and I don't want to wait any longer on this fix.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
After sitting still with the AC running after about 1 minunte the engine will drop rpms and the brake pedal will become much softer for 1/2 a second and the AC will turn off. As soon I start moving again the AC resumes.

That's because the pressure in the system is getting too high and it's tripping the high pressure switch from lack of airflow across the condensor.

Most definitely it's because of the fans if they're not turning on.

The fan is not running with the AC on. I checked the fuse, it was ok. I pulled the relay but you cannot see inside it. I checked all of the electrical connections near the fan and they all seem tight. Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back