2004 Mustang GT 12,700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just purchased a 2004 Mustang GT, has a MAC catback, larger 85mm MAF, 75mm throttle body, and a C&L plenum. Also has suspension mods, but that's irrelevant, I reckon.

I will be using a Motorcraft filter, but what oil are you guys thinking? I know Pennzoil Platinum was champ in the mod motors. I was thinking of going PP 5W-30. I don't really plan on hot rodding, I want to make this car last. It is very low mileage to me. Do you think I should go 5W-20? Well, besides that, is the PP add pack still doing the best for the 4.6? I haven't been around here as much lately, but I stop by and read UOA's when I can. While I'm looking through some, I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.

well, my opinion is a little Bias, I know what I would run haha. ford calls for 5w20 and there is no problem with that, unless your engine is diluting the oil due to running a richer mixture due to mods or driving habits. I say run the 5w20 and verify with oil analysis.

PP and PU are both great oils. Mobil 1 is also a good choice on those engines. 5w20 should be a good grade of oil to run, but I would be concerned on how it's tuned. With those extra parts, more than likely, someone has changed up the fueling, timing, etc and if it's running rich, then a 5w30 maybe better if it suffers from fuel dilution.

If it's got a "canned" tune on it, you could look up who did it and find out further what you're dealing with. UOA would be the best way to find out what you're dealing with for sure though.

After you decide what oil, please get a set of cams. You will thank me later for the performance gains, and especially the way they will sound with that MAC catback.

my previous car was a 2002 gt with a p1sc procharger at 10lbs of boost. stick bottom end. i ran motorcraft 5w20 semi synthetic, and fl820s filters. changed it every 3-5k miles and never had and issue. $20 for and oil change. i liked that combo. pp and pu are great as well.

I run QSUD 5w20 in my 06 GT but previously ran PP. Only switched because QSUD is such a good value at WalMart. Hardcore, did you cam the 07? How did that affect driveability and fuel mileage?

Thanks, guys. I think I will just go with 5W-20. I run 5W-20 PP in my mom's 2005 Mustang GT (4.6 3v). It's so hard for me to get over running 5W-20 in a V8 that I might possibly feel frisky and do a few dashes to 60mph or something, but really... I'm not going to be hard on the car. And even if I was, 5W-20 should be fine in this engine.

I can't find a single better oil, on average, than Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in the 4.6's according to UOA and wear numbers. Sometimes you find an oil and an engine that just WORKS, and I don't think I should sway from it. It's almost like Rotella 5W-40 and the turbo Subarus. Those STI's absolutely love that particular oil according to many UOA's on here.

So... 5W-20 should really be fine in this 12,700 mile 4.6 2v 2004 Mustang GT no matter how I run it, though, really... shouldn't it? I mean, that is what it's spec'd for.

Larger MAFs don't measure as well as the stock one at low flows.
Did you get a tune? Some times they are rich.
Anybody's 5-20 or maybe 5-30 will be fine.

I think PP 5W-20 is an excellent choice.
I usually recommend a 0W-20 for any 20wt application but PP SN 5W-20 is as good or better than some 0W-20's in a moderate climate like yours.

In any modified engine I always recommend the installation of a fully functional oil pressure gauge. This will tell you every thing you need to know about how the oil is performing in terms of viscosity in your engine.

the 5w20 will protect it well. 20wt's protect great, and just as good as 30 wt's as far as i can tell. the motorcraft 5w20 in my 02 protected it well, and that was under boost. pick your favorite 5w20, and run it with confidence! the 4.6 is tough and will last a very long time as long as its well maintained.
-Donny

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
the 5w20 will protect it well. 20wt's protect great, and just as good as 30 wt's as far as i can tell. the motorcraft 5w20 in my 02 protected it well, and that was under boost. pick your favorite 5w20, and run it with confidence! the 4.6 is tough and will last a very long time as long as its well maintained.
-Donny

If you ran 5W-20 in one under boost... I'm sold. Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I will probably need to get a tune. I was thinking trick tuners with the email tunes, where I can send them my data and they can tune on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back