2004 BMW 325i Short Term Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
So I'm about to start selling the family friend's BMW, once we get the title from the finance company. It's been a long waiting game.

It is a 2004 BMW 325i with 84k miles. I put 650 miles on it.

I figured I would write a review so that anyone who is considering to buy one of these older ones gets an unbiased review. Here goes the review and what I think about it.

Handling: 9/10
It handles nicely, great steering, although it is pretty stiff steering. Maybe it needs a flush, but I assume if it were any lighter it would be harder to control in turns. The Michelin Pilot Sport tires have great reaction when dry but SUCK in the rain and are very loud on the highway. Have lots of tread.

Suspension: 7/10
Pretty decent, not much body roll. It gets pretty rough over rough roads compared to other cars such as my Camry or the VW. It has the sport suspension package so I do expect some stiffness but as a luxury car I expected it to be softer.

Seats and Comfort: 8.5/10
The seats contour to the body very well, and seating position (although quite low) is great. My only complaint is no adjustment for lumbar. There really isn't any room in the back seat though unless you're short.

Stereo: 6.5/10
Was not impressed at all with the stereo. There's too much sound coming from the rear speakers, yes I know the fade is adjustable but I usually keep it centered. Also it had almost no low bass. This particular car does not have the premium stereo, just the regular one.

Rain sensitive wipers: 10/10
Performed flawlessly, they were just right when driving in heavy rain.

Fuel Economy: 7/10
I used the onboard MPG to monitor fuel economy so there was probably some error. I averaged 21.5 mpg driving the car with the occasional spirited driving but almost all of it was 65 mph with the cruise control set. Pretty sad for a car rated for nearly 30 mpg highway but I guess it is a 6 cylinder.

Acceleration: 6/10
Wow, I was really let down with this car's acceleration. I understand this one has the smaller engine but it is gutless at low RPMs, like it won't get out of its own way or from a dead stop. It was also pretty unresponsive unless I put it in "Sport" instead of Drive, Sport was when it woke up a little. It makes ALL of its power at high RPMs although it is quite happy while at 6,000 RPMs. I did a 0-60 in "Sport" twice using a stopwatch and it was a little over 10 seconds. Yawn. Also the engine was too quiet, not enough "roar". It can't break the tires loose at all or really even chirp them. Even the Beetle can squeal it's tires easily. Heck, the Beetle with the traction control off and the parking brake pulled it will roast the tires.

Overall View: 6.5/10
Yawn-O-Rama. I thought it would be nice to drive the BMW in the meantime while I had it. Was not very impressed and I feel sorry for the person who spent $50k on this car when new. If you're in the market for a BMW it may be worth it to buy it used, why buy new for ridiculous money for not that much car? Although yes this one is older. I thought it was nice and cool to drive for a couple days but all of that wore off, and I didn't care for the car much at all. During the 650 miles I've driven it the oil pressure light comes on and off (probably the wrong oil) and the airbag light comes off and on a lot. The mirrors are also temperamental. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the passenger mirror lowers when you put it in reverse, sometimes it doesn't. Also you really do have to use 91 octane in it. It stumbles on 87 octane.

These are all just my opinions, so please don't take it too hard if I hurt your feelings if my experience has been different than yours.

If the power comes on like a light switch at higher RPM that means the VANOS may not be functioning properly.

Does this have the ~180 HP 2.5L engine? Should be zero to 60 in around 7 to 8 seconds (the auto taking a bit longer). Something is not functioning correctly if it's taking 10 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It can't break the tires loose at all or really even chirp them. Even the Beetle can squeal it's tires easily. Heck, the Beetle with the traction control off and the parking brake pulled it will roast the tires.

Your VW is front wheel drive and the BMW is rear wheel drive. That's a completely different physics equation...

Try spinning your VW's tires in reverse.
wink.gif

Oil light flickers because it needs the upgraded oil level sensor. The seal fails allowing oil to travel up the harness.

I see power and stereo are your main gripes since your final score is skewed towards those items.

Btw..there's no way a 180hp engine in a heavy sedan is going to chirp Pilot Sports on a RWD car. Too much traction.

The 325 is a bland motor but it sounds like something was wrong with the one you drove. The gutless old 318 probably had a similar 0-60 time. If it makes you feel any better that wasn't a $50k car new either. Probably low to mid 30s. Good luck with the sale.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
If it makes you feel any better that wasn't a $50k car new either. Probably low to mid 30s.

Agreed. Heck, even my 530i wasn't a $50K car when new.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It can't break the tires loose at all or really even chirp them. Even the Beetle can squeal it's tires easily. Heck, the Beetle with the traction control off and the parking brake pulled it will roast the tires.

Your VW is front wheel drive and the BMW is rear wheel drive. That's a completely different physics equation...

wink.gif

Even my grandfather's Jeep Cherokee can squeal the tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
It can't break the tires loose at all or really even chirp them.

Did you turn off DSC when you tried it?
Yup, even tried in sport.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
If it makes you feel any better that wasn't a $50k car new either. Probably low to mid 30s.

Agreed. Heck, even my 530i wasn't a $50K car when new.

You're right, I just looked it up. I read $50k on some website while researching the car and took it to heart, either they were wrong or I read it wrong.

wink.gif

V8 or the 4.0 inline 6?

either way, a MUCH larger engine than the BMW's inline 6 2.5

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
BMW is for crusing in style, not for racing.

That depends on the BMW...

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

wink.gif

V8 or the 4.0 inline 6?

either way, a MUCH larger engine than the BMW's inline 6 2.5
4.0 with the same horsepower with oversized BFG All Terrains. Regardless, still pretty sad.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
BMW is for crusing in style, not for racing.
Not sure about cruising in style, it isn't that good looking LOL. It must have had an intention of being sporty, it has the sport suspension package, but not enough power to need it. Definitely not a cushy luxury car, it rides over bumps awfully.

4.0 with the same horsepower with oversized BFG All Terrains. Regardless, still pretty sad.

Wanna talk about sad? try doing high speed emergency maneuvers in the Jeep. THAT'S sad!

Wanna talk about sad? try doing high speed emergency maneuvers in the Jeep. THAT'S sad!
Try doing some major off-roading in a BMW like I do in the Jeep. It's a totally different vehicle, I was only talking about the acceleration and power it had, that's comparable. Handling and usage of the vehicle for it's design isn't comparable.

Try doing some major off-roading in a BMW like I do in the Jeep. It's a totally different vehicle, I was only talking about the acceleration and power it had, that's comparable. Handling and usage of the vehicle for it's design isn't comparable.

the power clearly is not comparable since the engine in the Jeep is nearly twice the size of the BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back