2003 Toyota Celica GTS 6 sp manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owners manual recommends SAE 75W-90 GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil for the transmission. On the Celica forums many are recommending Redline MT-90. They are also recommending against Redline MTL and Mobil 1 because they are damaging to the syncrhos. Some have suggested GL-5 oils are actually corrosive to the syncrhos. I am confused as to what to use. What do you recommend?

MTL is too thin.
Mobil1 is a GL5. Since your manual recommends a GL5, then it won't be a problem.

Redline MT90, Amsoil MTG, and Specialtyformulations MTL-R, and RoyalPurple Maxgear, are some of the fluids you should try.

Although the book says GL5, don't fall for it. The older GL5's were corrosive but not the newer ones. Read Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W-90.

The Redline Shockproof "lights" are NOT recommended for MT's with syncros.

I have an 03 Matrix XRS and am currently having issues with the Amsoil MT 75W-90 and am getting ready to switch to the Redline MT 90. I tried the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and hated it.

If the MT90 doesn't work well for me, I will try their Shockproof Heavy and then go back to OEM if the Heavy isn't good.

PM me for the link to the cheapest place for the Redline MT 90. It's $7 a qt.

Looks like I will go with the Redline MT-90. This is going to be the first fluid change for the tranny. It has the factory fill in there now with 34000 KM on it. Will there be a problem going to synthetic now and is there anything I should be doing or watching for?

You can also check out www.matrixowners.com for additional information.

The long and short of my story is that I swapped my MT fluid around 35K miles and used the Severe Gear. It created very notchy shifting, especially when cold and during the 2-1 shift. We both have the same engine and # of speeds but I don't know if the actually tranny model is the same.

At the advice of Pablo, one of the Amsoil dealers on this site, I swapped again (around 40k or so) for the Amsoil Manual Transmission Fluid 75W-90. I put this in both my car and my 2004 Tacoma 5 speed. It is much better than the SVG but I am still not 100% satisfied with it in either vehicle.

You shouldn't worry about anything going to the synthetic. Do yourself a favor now though. Make a mental note of how your shifting is now. Then you have a reference. I got a little over zealous and had much higher expectations with the change. My MT90 should be here today or tomorrow and I am going to try it in my truck first.

My shifting is fine. In the winter when it gets really cold here (below freezing) the shifting is stiff until it warms up but I expect that.

When you say 2-1 shift do mean down shifting from 2-1 or up-shifting from 1-2?

Down shifting from 2 to 1. With the GL5 Amsoil SVG, it would be really tough when it was cold (outside temp 30-40F, engine "cold").

I think there is some kind of safety feature for the Toyotas when down shifting from 2-1. I know on my Celica that if you are going to fast you can't down shift from 2-1. It just seems to lock you out. Once you get slow enough it just slides into first no problem. It's been like that since I bought the car brand new.

My issues were actually as you came to a stop. From what I have read, 1st in these trannys doesn't have syncros so you have to be stopped or pretty much almost stopped for the shift to occur. What I was noticing was an increase in the amount of force necessary to complete the shift, even after stopping or almost stopping. It got alot better after the tranny warmed a bit.

My 5 speed is much different, but then again, it is a truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back