2003 Subaru Forester Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your running 15w-40 in your BMW it will work fine in the 2.5 too - above freezing. Otherwise Purolator PL14460 and NAPA synthetic (both sale/rebates right now) is a dandy combination. UOAs on this engine indicate just about any 5w-30 will work fine. Purolator filter is the only aftermarket filter that meets the bypass spec, but that may be overblown for most stock street driven vehicles. I save the foam coffee cups from work and use to catch the drippings from the filter once loosened. The oil pan is a gusher so be ready and don't forget a new crush washer. With its age I'd also look to do the other fluids too.

15W-40 HDEO is fine in an old BMW, 5T.
I ran a couple of changes of 15W-40 Tection Extra in mine last summer.
I will tell you that fuel economy is much better on M1 15W-50, though.
Enough so to actually pay for the marginal cost of the oil over a 5K OCI and then some.
A 325 e30 is a neat car, and pretty quick.
How many miles do you have on it?
Anyway, the Subie will be happy on anything, and it doesn't need 15W-40, although you could use it within Subaru's grade recommendations.
Fuel economy is bad enough on a starburst 5W-30.

Good for you, Andrew.
I drove an e36 325 locally last fall that I could have bought for the same $$$.
The thing had 220K, solid body and drove and ran really well.
BMWs do seem to hold up pretty well, and the e30 does have a neo classical shape, a transition between the 320i and the later cars.

E30 love man. I LOVE THAT CAR. I replaced the timing belt, first time I ever had done anything with any type of engine.. and it was a breeze. Granted a e30 race mechanic helped me..

They are great cars, and man does mine just give me a buzz when I drive it.

Originally Posted By: merdog
Oil can Henrys is a oil quicky lube that carries castrol as their main oil. They are all around here in WA and they are expensive. 45 bucks for a gtx oil change. And of course they will try to up sale you to a syntec oil change for 100 dollars. Not a good place to do business.

I took my mom's car to the one in Salinas,Ca. I wasn't looking to buy any of the upsell stuff. They said I had a fuel leak and wouldn't do the basic oil change. Wasted my time. I went elsewhere with no problems or indication of fuel leak.

If you're worried about the oil, may I also suggest replacing the PCV valve as well-I generally do this around the 30k marker.

Also, I normally do coolant at 30k as well, along with the front and rear differentials.

Originally Posted By: Xstang

Mobil synthetics seems to cause bearing failure in turbo'd subaru engines. My friend has run Mobil clean 5000 in a '96 legacy from 150k-220k, so you be the judge. UOA's of M1 in subaru EJ engines show pretty high iron levels.....

Wix? I like their filters, but the bypass pressure is not high enough-I'd stick with OEM (Honeywell) or purolator. No experience with Bosch.

It has been discussed to death but the high iron is a result from something in the oil NOT from wear(unless it had a high iron reading prior), then again it is an engine with over 150k miles so it would show iron no matter what.

The same goes for synthetics causing lower end problems, unfounded and unproven. It could have been a multitude of issues in manufacturing that caused the engine to fail. If anything it was excessive clearance from the factory that wasn't known until it was too late.

I really hate that fact that people keep spreading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back