2003 Nissan Altima ATF change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called some auto parts places and they said to replace the filter you have to remove the valve body so I take it that it isnt for a DIY? Can I simply just drop the ATF and replace it? Also it calls for ATF D, is there anything that mobil makes in a synthetic for this car? Thanks

If it utilizes the same type of filter as my wife's Sentra, it's just a biga** screen that doesn't really catch fine particles. Install a Magnefine filter on one of the cooler lines.

By ATF D, do you mean Nissan Matic D?

If so, some users have stated any Mercon V fluid is an upgrade (and Mobil 1 is recommended for Mercon V). I believe Nissan says DexronIII/Mercon can be used if Nissan Matic D is unavailable, and since Mercon V replaces all Mercon applications, you'd be using a correct fluid.

Amsoil ATF is recommended for Nissan Matic D and has done well in my wife's Sentra.

The screen as it is called on the TB does not catch any fine grime. I would recommend not replacing it as it is badly designed with a bolt with a nut behind it in one of the screen bolts. A few folks have ventured removing the screen but hit roadblocks but they finally did replace it.

If you want to a ATF exchange Castrol MV Import ATF is good but if you are inclined to go the OEM route, then Matic D too is good.

Yes Nissan matic D is what the owners manual said but I think I will go with Mobil 1 Mercon or Amsoil, around here I can get Mobil 1 under 6 dollars and Amsoil is at 9. I see there is a drain plug on the pan so I guess if I leave the filter alone I dont need to pull the pan. Any idea of how many quarts I would have to add in it for just dropping the plug out of it?
I have heard it holds a total of 9.2 or 9.7 qts.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
Yes Nissan matic D is what the owners manual said but I think I will go with Mobil 1 Mercon or Amsoil, around here I can get Mobil 1 under 6 dollars and Amsoil is at 9. I see there is a drain plug on the pan so I guess if I leave the filter alone I dont need to pull the pan. Any idea of how many quarts I would have to add in it for just dropping the plug out of it?
I have heard it holds a total of 9.2 or 9.7 qts.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, a pan drain and fill will be almost exactly 5 quarts. I have the same transmission in my 2002 Altima. Get at least six quarts if you are doing just drain and fills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back