2003 Ford Taurus.

Having an alternator put on the old 2003 Taurus today. It's one of those underneath. Best way is to pull
front passenger side tire and remove the panel behind it to get to it so, I'm having it done since
I don't have a good place to work on it. Then, next week I'm having a new oil pan gasket
put on and, dumping 6 gts of HPL 5w20 in it. The old car has about 147,000 miles on it and still runs
great. Just needs that oil pan gasket. Has the 3.0 DOHC engine and seems to have plenty of power
left. I'll be driving it more than my 2002 F-150 since it gets much better gas mileage.
Decided to keep it since I've put all new shocks and struts and new tires on it and an alignment and spark plugs just before we decided to buy the Rav 4. Wife has her new rig so, I'll kinda take this old car over. 3 vehicles to keep up now, haha.

If you haven't done valve cover gaskets yet, if you do them at some point in the near future, check that all the cam caps are torqued down, the first several years of the 3.0 DOHC have problems with the bolts backing off and the cam cap coming loose and causing damage to the head.

If you haven't done valve cover gaskets yet, if you do them at some point in the near future, check that all the cam caps are torqued down, the first several years of the 3.0 DOHC have problems with the bolts backing off and the cam cap coming loose and causing damage to the head.
Thanks for the info.

Vulcan here with a tad bit more mileage. You putting new shocks and struts on -- I am sure it rides nice and comfy. Glad to hear you are maintaining it well and the HPL should work fabulous. Keep motoring!!!

Well, running my very 1st run of HPL 5w20 now in the old 2003 Ford Taurus SES.
Also a new oil pan gasket. Old one was squeezed really bad in one spot and was definitely leaking.
Fixed now so, it'll hold in the 6 new qts of HPL!
And, done a tranny pan drop, new gasket and 5 quarts of Castrol Tranny fluid
Mercon V version.
Done a quick 15 minute flush before draining the oil with 11 ounces of the BG EPR engine flush. Fairly clear oil was in but came out BLACK! The BG EPR worked very well.
Anyway, engine is running very smooth with the new HPL oil.
Tranny is shifting fantastic!
149,683 miles.

Last edited:
I drove the 2003 Taurus SES about 30 miles this morning and, after the BG EPR motor flush, adding the new HPL 5w20 motor oil and, draining the tranny pan and adding a new filter and 6.5 quarts of fresh Castrol tranny fluid Merc V, it runs as smooth and good as it ever has!
Extremely quiet.
Very happy with the results.

If the alternator was underneath, you've got the 3.0 DOHC Duratec, not the rental car Vulcan I had in my '06
I don't even that job, but you're water pump is simplicity itself
Sounds like you've got the maintenance all down pat 😉
What trim level is it?
Some higher end SEL options are plug and play on some models
Premium audio amp, tweeters, power seat, enabling the perimeter security alarm, etc

If the alternator was underneath, you've got the 3.0 DOHC Duratec, not the rental car Vulcan I had in my '06
I don't even that job, but you're water pump is simplicity itself
Sounds like you've got the maintenance all down pat 😉
What trim level is it?
Some higher end SEL options are plug and play on some models
Premium audio amp, tweeters, power seat, enabling the perimeter security alarm, etc
It's the SES trim level.

I’ve always been amazed that the performance market never got ahold of the 3.0 Duratec. Pretty peppy in a car that size, I always thought it could have been a fun little V-6 motor with some LS type options.
It is very peppy. A very nice running car. Plan on keeping it a few more yrs.

Back