2003 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0 Zetec, 8657 / 103279 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back my second UOA for this car. I'm posting both the first UOA from December along with the UOA from my oil change this past weekend.

Code:

Mi on Oil 10,536 8,657

Mi on Car 94,622 103,279

Sample Date 11/15/11 04/07/12

Make up Oil added 0 0

ALUMINUM 8 13

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 31 41

COPPER 11 5

LEAD 3 1

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 107 105

NICKEL 2 2

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 2

BORON 56 54

SILICON 14 15

SODIUM 8 7

CALCIUM 2463 2227

MAGNESIUM 15 145

PHOSPHORUS 668 661

ZINC 720 803

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 50.9 51.8

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.53 7.81

Flashpoint in °F 340 385

Fuel % 1.3
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3 0.4

TBN 3.7 3.2

TAN

ISO Code

Here are the notes they wrote me each time:

First sample from 11/15/11
Code:

Thanks for the notes. Aluminum and copper are a little on the high side and they shouldn't track

with time on the oil so we can't blame the long run for them. Aluminum is from the pistons and copper is

from brass/bronze parts. Universal averages show typical wear for this type engine after 6,000 miles on the

oil. Iron is high as well, but that metal does track with miles, so it's okay. Fuel at 1.3% isn't a cautionary

amount. The TBN was 3.7 showing lots of active additive; less than 1.0 is too low. Try 9,000 miles on the

next oil and check back.

Second from 4/7/12
Code:

We found a nice improvement in copper, though both aluminum and iron increased. As we

mentioned, aluminum can come from pistons, and iron typically shows wear at steel parts. We expect iron to

increase as an oil sees more use, but considering this oil saw fewer miles, iron should have decreased. If

you run this engine hard, that might explain the elevated iron, though with metals increasing, it's getting

harder to overlook the possibility of poorly wearing parts. No contamination was found and the TBN was

fine. Try this interval again to monitor.

This most recent oil interval was through the winter months in very northwestern Minnesota. While it wasn't as cold or as snowy as it could have been, there were plenty of very cold mornings. I drive to work which is only 5 miles away so the car barely reaches operating temps before shutting it down. This happens 5 days a week and then on weekends I would usually drive to south on I-29 an hour to Grand Forks at 80-85 mph. Also, once a month or so I would drive home (I'm on a traveling construction crew) which is a round trip of almost 1,100 miles in a weekend; this would also be at 80-85 for the first 6 hours, and then 75-80 for the remaining 4.

Would the combination of numerous cold starts and long high RPM drives be the main culprit of the high metal particle count or is the engine starting to wear significantly on it's own?

what were the intervals (time not mileage)

ie first oil change was mmddyyyy to mmddyyyy etc

I love it - post every last detail EXCEPT what oil was actually used!

I'm guessing it's M1, 5W-20 or 0W-20.

Oops... sorry. I was going to put that in the title but ran out of room.

Yes, it was Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic. I'm using a Motocraft FL-400S oil filter for both UOAs.

Before I discovered this site (the reason I decided to start taking oil samples), I had been running Mobil 1 5W-20 with Fram oil filters. I've had the car since the 68,000 mile mark and the previous owners used Fram oil filters as well with synthetic oil, but I'm unsure of the specific brand.

The first oil sample was taken from the oil I ran from approximately April to November 11, 2011 (first oil change with a Motorcraft filter). From June until August I drove almost no miles as I had my truck at the jobsite and the car was 500+ miles away. The second UOA is from the oil I ran from November until April 7, 2012.

Check out my ZX2 Zetec uoas. My numbers are WAY WAY lower than yours. I can only say with my numbers 2/3 lower than yours, your Zetec does not like the oil you are using or it has mechanical issues.
I used RP 5w20 and Wix, MC, M1, K&N oil filters

I have had lower wear #'s on a this engine family with comparable mileage #'s on conventional on sale 5W-20. But M-1 is doing a good job just not outstanding. I would only give your motor 10-15 years to live maintaining it as you do. From oil condition reading your UOA nothing screams at me. What flavor is this M-1? GF-4 SM or GF-5 SN?

As far as how the engine runs, fuel mileage, etc the motor seems to be fine. I'll be happy if the motor runs 10-15 years as with the number of miles and the salty roads I drive on, the body won't last that long despite numerous car washes.

I'm not sure if it's GF-4 SM or GF-5 SN; whatever Wal-mart sells. I'll have to look next time I buy oil as I threw away the jug at home (500 miles away).

I'll continue to monitor the UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back