2003 Evo - 137k miles - 2,722 miles OCI - Amsoil ZROD 10W40 - OEM Oil Filter

Ran the 1st 2k miles on 93 and the last 700 miles on E85. About half of the make up oil was on 93 and the remaining on E85.

Attachments

• 03Evo8 Amsoil ZROD 10W40.jpg
    03Evo8 Amsoil ZROD 10W40.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: a5m
Wondering what makes you use a high end product for such a low OCI? It's rare Blackstone tells ya to lower OCI. What are you planning for the next OCI?

Insols. at 0.5, and basically no silicon in the sample - means all the solid particles are metal from the engine!
Was there glitter or debris in the pan when you drained it? This doesn’t look good!

Wondering what makes you use a high end product for such a low OCI? It's rare Blackstone tells ya to lower OCI. What are you planning for the next OCI?
I rarely drive the car....less than 1.5k miles a year. I used to use Brad Penn but their price has gone up substantially and BP is not approved for flex fuel.

Insols. at 0.5, and basically no silicon in the sample - means all the solid particles are metal from the engine!
Was there glitter or debris in the pan when you drained it? This doesn’t look good!
I don't see any. I would like to think that it's prob the type of the engine and poor filtration of OEM oil filter

May i ask why Zrod in this engine? Is it stock or upgraded turbo? Etc..

May i ask why Zrod in this engine? Is it stock or upgraded turbo? Etc..
I have a 2.2L and FBO. I had an aftermarket but it's currently on stock 9 turbo. FP recommended to use oil with high zinc content year ago and I have been doing that since.

I have a 2.2L and FBO. I had an aftermarket but it's currently on stock 9 turbo. FP recommended to use oil with high zinc content year ago and I have been doing that since.
High zinc content for what ? Any euro spec oil will have 1k+ ppm zddp and be ample for that motor .

That UOA scares me. Zrod is for old school big blocks and flat tappet engines. IMO. Not a 4g63.

I would run Ravenol or Motul if your spending Amsoil type money anyways. Hell Edge 0w40 @ $22 would be a better choice.

Very nice car btw...

High zinc content for what ? Any euro spec oil will have 1k+ ppm zddp and be ample for that motor .

That UOA scares me. Zrod is for old school big blocks and flat tappet engines. IMO. Not a 4g63.

Is it possible that this particular oil can literally be causing extra wear on the components designed for regular energy conserving older then SM spec oil?

Or is the switch to E85 the culprit here?

Did the driving conditions change drastically from before? 🤔

Is it possible that this particular oil can literally be causing extra wear on the components designed for regular energy conserving older then SM spec oil?

Or is the switch to E85 the culprit here?

Did the driving conditions change drastically from before? 🤔
I'm implying neither.

I just think it's the wrong oil for this engine, regardless.

I would run Ravenol or Motul if your spending Amsoil type money anyways. Hell Edge 0w40 @ $22 would be a better choice.

Very nice car btw...
Thanks for your feedback. I decided to make the switch from Brad Penn which has ZDDP but it's not approved for E85. Some people go with other oils that have higher ZDDP as well such as RL and RP. The nice thing about Zrod that it has the rust and corrosion inhibitors than other amsoil products which should help that I rarely drive the car. I prob change the oil 1x year at low OCI. I'm planning to try Grp V oil next such as RL or Motul.

I did redline the car a lot this time and a lot of short drive. Yea I had Edge 0W40 there prior. I mostly use it on my S2K.

Back