2003 Dodge Neon Oil Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright fellas! One more thread for the day. The car in question is my 2003 Dodge Neon SE. It has the 2.0L SOHC non-H.O. engine, and currently sits a bit under 102,000 miles. For the past 3 or 4 oil changes, it has been Pennzoil Platinum with a Fram Xtended Guard for 6,000 miles. I typically put between 400 and 500 miles on the car a week, with 400 at least being highway commuting to school and back 4 days a week, almost exactly 50 miles each way. I have considered switching to Amsoil ASM and an EaO filter and running it for 15,000-20,000 miles. I can get 5 quarts of ASM and an EaO filter shipped for right around $60, if not a bit less. $60 is a good solid number though so I'll stick with it. I don't plan on paying for a UOA either, though I suppose doing one at ~15,000 miles would be good just to know where I'm at. I do drive it a bit hard at times, which is why I wouldn't plan on running it the 25,000 miles for certain. Basically what I'm looking at is ~$32 for 6,000 miles or ~$60 for at least 15,000 miles. Is this a worthwhile step up from my current? Should I just run the PP a bit longer?

For me, it would be more like ~$32 for 10,000 miles or ~60 for 15,000 miles. I'd have a hard time going past 15 without a UOA or at least a few from similar engines (and maybe I don't know enough about yours). I guess it depends on the value of your time. Really, nothing wrong with either approach.

Always good to see someone looking to make the best possible use of good lubes! This is what drives companies to make better products.

I wouldn't gamble on such long OCIs without UOA support, even with Amsoil. Heck, if nothing else, a $20 UOA could probably save you at least that much in either oil change costs or repairs.
wink.gif

If I were you, here's what I'd do:

1. Pull a sample for a UOA (without changing the oil) at 10,000 miles just to see how things are coming along. The beauty of pulling a sample is that you'll end up draining around a quart in the process and have to top off with fresh oil. So, even if the oil is somehow totally depleted, you can still drive on it for a bit because you've partially replenished it.

2. If all is well with the 10,000 mile sample, take the next OCI out to 15,000 miles and try again. If not, switch back to PP and 6,000 mile OCIs.

That'll give you a fairly good idea of how long you can run your oil, with the minimum number of UOAs. Plus, since you only need to be interested in the condition of the oil rather than actually tracking engine wear, the inexpensive $20 UOAs will work just fine.

Not to take away from the Amsoil quality, but you could go M1EP and follow the same OCI for less $$. M1EP is backed by a written warranty for 12 months, 15k on the Mobil site, just keep your receipts. M1EP and a Mobil filter runs about $40 for the combo, but I think AAP may still be running a sale for $29.99 on the combo right now. You're gonna be changing twice a year with Amsoil anyway, so M1EP can match that and is readily available if you need some for top off.

Originally Posted By: jeepman
Not to take away from the Amsoil quality, but you could go M1EP and follow the same OCI for less $$. M1EP is backed by a written warranty for 12 months, 15k on the Mobil site, just keep your receipts. M1EP and a Mobil filter runs about $40 for the combo, but I think AAP may still be running a sale for $29.99 on the combo right now. You're gonna be changing twice a year with Amsoil anyway, so M1EP can match that and is readily available if you need some for top off.

+1.
I use the EP in both of my Ford I4s and it performs very well. Engines are quite and spotless.

Just with the hard driving (with the 2.0), I'd stick with the PP treatment.

With the high milage, I'd be a bit iffy to push high OCIs.

Just to clarify, which OCI? The Amsoil one?

The Amsoil was just a thought. I'm looking for the best "bang for my buck" oil, filter and OCI simply because of how much I drive this car. It doesn't really matter to me what oil it is.

For comparison, someone else I know has a 2.0L Neon as well, and a UOA with PP 5W30 at 5,000 miles had a TBN of 4.1. Blackstone recommended him trying a 7,000 mile OCI. He told me he drives his car spirited. I do that on occasion, but again, at least ~4/5 of my mileage right now is highway commuting at 55-65MPH. I'll go ahead and say 1/2 of the remaining 1/5 is spirited for me, so 1/10. Too many factions, I know, lol.

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Just to clarify, which OCI? The Amsoil one?

The Amsoil was just a thought. I'm looking for the best "bang for my buck" oil, filter and OCI simply because of how much I drive this car. It doesn't really matter to me what oil it is.

For comparison, someone else I know has a 2.0L Neon as well, and a UOA with PP 5W30 at 5,000 miles had a TBN of 4.1. Blackstone recommended him trying a 7,000 mile OCI. He told me he drives his car spirited. I do that on occasion, but again, at least ~4/5 of my mileage right now is highway commuting at 55-65MPH. I'll go ahead and say 1/2 of the remaining 1/5 is spirited for me, so 1/10. Too many factions, I know, lol.

I was going based on your mention of a 15k+ interval, knowing that M1EP can go the distance you are looking for. FWIW I had an 04 Neon with a 2.0 myself, and used to run 8k on PP with no problems. UOA's showed that I probably could have gone to 10k without issue. But you are putting more miles on than I did, so IMO M1EP or Amsoil would probably give you the best solution based on your description. Each choice will be a twice a year change, so flip a coin and sleep easy knowing you are protected.

If M1EP can accomplish what I am looking for, for less money, I'm down (perhaps if I use Mobil 1 that will get everyone off of my back about being a so called "hater" of it, lol). For this vehicle at this point in time, for me, it's just about using whatever it takes to get the job done well. In this case, giving me the longest OCI for the money. I have my other car that I allow myself to be picky about. I mean, if the Mobil 1 set-up will cost me $40 and I used it for say only 12,000 miles instead of 15K, that's already twice as far for $8 more vs. another $32 with the PP and Fram XG. I'm not trying to go crazy with it, which is why I suggested 15,000 on the Amsoil when it's rated at 25,000 (same with the PP. I'm sure I could go a bit farther, but I'm trying not to overdue it since I wasn't going with a UOA), but obviously there had to have been a more economical option and the M1 combo is sounding like it thus far! Thank you sir!

Also, to get back to the UOA suggestion. I didn't overlook it, but it does get back to what I was trying to avoid...spending $30 to see how the oil is doing when that $30 will pretty much just get me another oil change. I would not mind in this car, one time, just running whatever oil to say 12,000 miles, and testing it that one time to see where I am at. If the oil is done at 12,000 miles, I'm set. If it still has a bit left, I know I can go just a bit further. I understand the use of it, and yes, trying to "go the distance" that I am, at least one would probably be worthwhile. :)

Originally Posted By: silverrat
You can probably do 5000 miles for $12.

This. Or stick with QS Syn for $18 a jug and do 7k miles.

Good info so far! It's looking like the Mobil 1 combo is the best so far. The QS Syn still needs a filter, and at two times for 14K instead of 15K, comes out to a bit more. I really wouldn't mind going even 12K like I was saying initially, UOA, and go from there. The 12K for $40 is a pretty good deal still, and will keep me out from underneath the car every other month.

Originally Posted By: roushstage2
Alright fellas! One more thread for the day. The car in question is my 2003 Dodge Neon SE. It has the 2.0L SOHC non-H.O. engine, and currently sits a bit under 102,000 miles. For the past 3 or 4 oil changes, it has been Pennzoil Platinum with a Fram Xtended Guard for 6,000 miles. I typically put between 400 and 500 miles on the car a week, with 400 at least being highway commuting to school and back 4 days a week, almost exactly 50 miles each way. I have considered switching to Amsoil ASM and an EaO filter and running it for 15,000-20,000 miles. I can get 5 quarts of ASM and an EaO filter shipped for right around $60, if not a bit less. $60 is a good solid number though so I'll stick with it. I don't plan on paying for a UOA either, though I suppose doing one at ~15,000 miles would be good just to know where I'm at. I do drive it a bit hard at times, which is why I wouldn't plan on running it the 25,000 miles for certain. Basically what I'm looking at is ~$32 for 6,000 miles or ~$60 for at least 15,000 miles. Is this a worthwhile step up from my current? Should I just run the PP a bit longer?

Roushstage2,

I'd just stick to PP. I see no difference between PP and Amsoil unless the price is cheaper for you.

I use Mobil 1 in my truck/car and have been pretty happy using it. I see no reason to try Amsoil unless it's for the same reason I stated in the abouve paragraph.

Durango

Your driving profile screams 6 months minimum on any oil. Test the oil of your choice then and go from there. One kindred spirit TOWED with one 2.0 Neon with 5w-20 and had a stellar UOA. I don't think this engine fatigues oil much.

Originally Posted By: Durango

Roushstage2,

I'd just stick to PP. I see no difference between PP and Amsoil unless the price is cheaper for you.

I use Mobil 1 in my truck/car and have been pretty happy using it. I see no reason to try Amsoil unless it's for the same reason I stated in the abouve paragraph.

Durango

The reason for the switch is to not have to spend $32 every other month on oil. If I can spend say $40 on the Mobil 1 and go 12K, that's $24 cheaper alone for a 12,000 mile OCI vs. the PP, let alone even more than that on the Mobil 1 or Amsoil or whichever I get.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
you mean $30 right? =)

For....the PP? PP has gone back up to like $23/jug in my area for some reason. Then the $8 or $9 filter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Your driving profile screams 6 months minimum on any oil. Test the oil of your choice then and go from there. One kindred spirit TOWED with one 2.0 Neon with 5w-20 and had a stellar UOA. I don't think this engine fatigues oil much.

These engines do seem to be pretty easy on oil, it's just a matter of finding what can "go the distance" for the price. Thanks Gary, that 6 month mark would be very nice, lol!

roushstage2,

Generally speaking any synthetic oil can take you to 12K oil changes. PP is a good oil although I've never tried it myself just as M1 is as well. If your not sure then both brands has an "extended" version guaranteed to last 12K easy but how it comapres to Amsoil I can't say. Regardless of what you choose make sure you get an oil filter that'll take you that far and enjoy:)

Durango

The oil filter will most definitely be one that can go the distance with the oil. I don't want to play that game of changing the filter out one or two times per OCI either. Just out of curiosity though, because I may have missed it somewhere or I just don't have it up here, what's the extended Pennzoil one? :)

Might I throw a new contender in the mix? Rotella T Syn for $18 for 5 quart jug at wal-mart. I'm not positive so I'd need some backup (confirmation) on this, but I think it holds its TBN well on EDI's.

Though actually, if you bought M1EP at AAP right now, it's what... $27.99 for 5 quarts with a M1 EP filter (an awesome filter that's up for the task!) and I'm not sure we're saving any with the Rotella T Syn. Maybe, depends on your filter I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back