2003 Cummins Extended OCI 10k? w Pics

Hello everyone I have a 2003 cummins that has no egr components or cat on it as well.
It has 176k miles and I am wanting to extend the oci to 10k if possible, I will be using a dbl 7349 for the first time so I will be running that for 3k miles with the new delvac 15w40 I bought today from walmart. I have never used a low micron rated filter like this which is why I am doing a 3k oci.
I was planning to use T6 15w40 with the DBL filter and go 10k if possible, or would the delvac 15w40 work as well?
Is this a good route to go for the future or should I do a oil sample after my 3k oci with the donaldson filter in it? I want to do the 10k oci so I can also change the fuel filter at the same time so its less work, thanks!

Here is the filter and the delvac oil that I bought today from walmart for 10.97

20200523_182837.jpg

20200523_182858.jpg

20200523_182928.jpg

I also have a 2003 Dodge Ram with the Cummins and have always done 10k mile oil changes and changed the filter at 5k miles with a quart of make-up oil.

I use Mobil One 5w-40 full synthetic and Fleetguard Stratapore filters and have never had any issues. This truck is about to turn 100k miles and still runs like new.

I do 10k changes using Donaldson DBL with T6 or VPBE.

That filter could easily go 15k, maybe further on a well maintained engine.

Don't see why the Delvac couldn't go 8k-10k on non emissions engine. Run it then sample it.

01 Cummins here. Unless you use and abuse your truck 3k OCI is overkill. I've done sample test at 5k on the same delvac 1300, that's when I change my oil, and black stone told me I'm safe to go till 7k or more with easy driving. I also use fleetguard LF16035. If you do fully synthetic 10k with good filter no problem at all.

Seem like a good time to see if the very best filter on the market fits- the cummins stratapore venturi dual element filter.

Suppose to scrub down to something like 5 microns using a stacked disc internal bypass.

UD

I've run Delvac 1300 in my trucks. Didn't like it much. Not enough wear protection for my comfort. Rotella T4 is much better in that respect.
The Cummins engine is easy on the oil if it doesn't have emissions controls. I ran extended oil change intervals on my '01 Ram on Delvac 1300.
Here is a link to the UOA's: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-delvac-1300-super-27k-miles#Post5161610

I don't see any real problem, though in running the 10kmile oil change interval. Donaldson makes good filters, and Delvac 1300 is OK oil.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I've run Delvac 1300 in my trucks. Didn't like it much. Not enough wear protection for my comfort. Rotella T4 is much better in that respect.
The Cummins engine is easy on the oil if it doesn't have emissions controls. I ran extended oil change intervals on my '01 Ram on Delvac 1300.
Here is a link to the UOA's: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-delvac-1300-super-27k-miles#Post5161610

I don't see any real problem, though in running the 10kmile oil change interval. Donaldson makes good filters, and Delvac 1300 is OK oil.

Quick story: back in 1984, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 was new on the market, & I was a Mobil Commercial Lubricants Engineer. A Distributor driver ran a Mack, don't recall which engine, and tried it. He had been using an Amoco product (Distributor was dual-flag). His UOA showed high chromium that the lubricant guys couldn't explain. I advised going back to Amoco, and never got an answer from Mobil Lube Lab. Seems their antiwear package for HTFS was inadequate, by my best educated guess. I run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 because it meets Ford's antiwear spec and is listed on Ford's approved oil list.

That 03 Cummins will last forever on decent oil and 10k changes.

Personally if I planned on keeping it forever I'd run the bypass filter mentioned above and HPL 5W-40 which is based on the tremendous CI-4+ add pack and then top treated with even more anti wear additives and friction modifiers and shoot for a 20,000 mi oci.

@BlastChamber What filter are you running? From what ive seen many people say these donaldsons last 10k+ so I am willing to go that far.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by A_Harman

I was planning on t615w40 for 10k

Originally Posted by ruSSrt
01 Cummins here. Unless you use and abuse your truck 3k OCI is overkill. I've done sample test at 5k on the same delvac 1300, that's when I change my oil, and black stone told me I'm safe to go till 7k or more with easy driving. I also use fleetguard LF16035. If you do fully synthetic 10k with good filter no problem at all.

Agreed 3k is too early but I dont want to risk clogging this filter since its the first time ive ever ran something with this good of a filtration for engine oil.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
It is possible to filter the additives out of the oil.

At what micron level does this occur?

Originally Posted by userfriendly
It is possible to filter the additives out of the oil.

Doubtful with todays filters.

Originally Posted by RateNate
Originally Posted by ruSSrt

Agreed 3k is too early but I dont want to risk clogging this filter since its the first time ive ever ran something with this good of a filtration for engine oil.

Someone with more knowledge can correct me. But I don't think we are anywhere close to clogging that filter even with 10k OCI. Only way I can see that happening is if you have a high mileage vehicle that was neglected. And you do first couple of oil changes with good oil to "wash" crud out. But in you are not that case.
You got EGR delete and no cat, so all the soot goes out of the pipe. Do you have to add oil between OCI?

Last edited:
you'll be fine, i run minimum 10K on all of my trucks. oil, is what everf diesel is on sale. usually sams has the 1300 for around 8-9$ gallon. tractor suppply has good deals some times.
what i've seen on a non raced or incorrectly tuned engine, is long as it's diesel oil, of the corrct grade for the climate you live. it'll be just fine. most modern diesel oils are designed for about 500 hours of use.
my 95 has 320K 04 has 300K my old 08 had 250K.
all the samples, all the different oils, one thing stood out, these engines are not hard on oil, and like what ever is on sale.

Rather than changing the oil and filter early, why don't you just pull a sample every 3-4k and see how it does? 10k should be no problem at all for that oil and filter.

We had a '99 Dodge with a Cummins that spent most of its life pulling a trailer loaded to the legal limit. Bulk 15w-40, Baldwin filters, 10k OCI. We sold it at 250k and it still ran like new, and is still operating locally.

Just curious why you don't use the Mopar filter available at Walmart? Part number MO-285. I use the Mopar filter and Mobil Delvac 15W40. I go until my EVIC turns on in my 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tnt_motorsports
Just curious why you don't use the Mopar filter available at Walmart? Part number MO-285. I use the Mopar filter and Mobil Delvac 15W40. I go until my EVIC turns on in my 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins.

That is the filter i used to use and never had a problem. I did quick research and found that fleetguard has better micron rating so I switched to fleetguard. It's just couple bucks more for better filter media and better micron rating.

Back