2003 Camry v6 with 1mz-Fe motor help with oil spe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my aunt's 2003 Camry. It's got the 1mz-Fe v6 in it. Odo reads 153k. It's going to be a commuter car for me.

Its been dealer serviced since purchased new. I had planned to use high milage part syn 5w-30. I took some time to review her service records and I was surprised to see that the dealer has been using 5w-20 in the car even though the cap and manual say 5w-30.

I've read the posts where Toyota back-spec'd 5w-20 for these motors. BUT, considering the mileage should I change to the 30wt high milage, keep on trucking with the 5w-20 or transition to 0w-20?

Depends on the condition you believe the engine to be in. Does it use oil? Leak oil? Slight bit of sludge visible through the oil fill hole? If so, go with the HM blend. What oil was used by the dealer? Toyota branded (Mobil) conventoinal? Synthetic?

If the engine shows no signs of distress, doesn't leak or use oil, there's no reason not to use 5w20. You could of course use a high mileage 5w20 like Maxlife for the extra seal conditioners.

If the engine was back spec'd to 5w20 no reason not to use it. As long as no leaks are present, and your not using any significant amount of oil between changes, your pretty much golden with whatever oil you use.

I would use mobil 1 HM not because of the seal swell ability, but because of its cleaning ability. I'd use the weight its spec'd for.

I've used PP 0W-20 in my 1MZ-FE before with over 200k miles, and its business as usual. Just as smooth and quiet as it is on a 30 weight.

Yes, the back-spec 20 was for CAFE reasons (they actually get a credit for retroactively prescribing the thinner oil; that credit should be revoked)

Use Maxlife 5w30, in either the syn blend or full synthetic if you can find it. However, M1 HM is also a great product.

Just wait until you have to replace the valve cover gasket. Getting to the back of the engine is impossible!

This was my experience...
The CarFax maintenance records of Kitacam's 1st owner indicated OCIs of 10k but she said it was done every 5k...
The Pboys Curly, Moe and Larry who did the OCs, told me they used Shell 5w-30 dino....
The dealer used PBY 5w-30 dino to prep the car for sale @ 97k...
After my 1st 3k I changed over to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30....it lasted 5.6k before getting down to "0" on the dipstick...
For the 2nd OCI with PP it took 7K miles before getting down to "0" on the stick... half of which were sustained 75+ MPH for 8+ hours over 4 days.

As for other fluids....it was not clear from dealer records or CarFax that any fluid (other than oil and for the clutch that was changed @ 97k when a new clutch was installed) was ever changed so @ 100k I had coolant, brake and power steering fluids changed....and will change the coolant again this month, 1 year after the 1st drain/fill...

Check the PCV valve too...if it's gunked up, it should be changed, along with the PCV hose if brittle and cracked at each end...and consider new valve cover gaskets if you're thinking of changing the spark plugs...

My grandson is using M1 5-30 in his 2002 Camry with 10K OCIs. The engine has 155K on the odie and runs great.

My grandson is using M1 5-30 in his 2002 Camry with 10K OCIs. The engine has 155K on the odie and runs great. As for the rest of the car. Well, that's another matter.

Well, with almost twice the mileage on my 1MZ-FE I am using M1 5W-20 and am very happy with it. The consumption is somewhat higher for me but the significantly easier starts and much quieter valvetrain in cold weather is well worth it.

Originally Posted By: slingha
I just bought my aunt's 2003 Camry. It's got the 1mz-Fe v6 in it. Odo reads 153k. It's going to be a commuter car for me.

Its been dealer serviced since purchased new. I had planned to use high milage part syn 5w-30. I took some time to review her service records and I was surprised to see that the dealer has been using 5w-20 in the car even though the cap and manual say 5w-30.

I've read the posts where Toyota back-spec'd 5w-20 for these motors. BUT, considering the mileage should I change to the 30wt high milage, keep on trucking with the 5w-20 or transition to 0w-20?

Originally Posted By: slingha

See here for my results: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3180047

Given your northern location, I'd say Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-20, coupled with a Motorcraft FL-400S, would be an excellent choice.

As others have mentioned, make sure to change out the PCV Valve -- it's easily accessible, cheap to buy, and very important!

I need to check her records to see i the PCV valve was changed. She did whatever the stealership recommended. The rack had a small leak and she changed it out at 150k at a cost of 1700. Pretty much the cost of the car.

If the consensus is to keep on whatever was working the local stealership here offers a 24 dollar oil change. If I keep to the 5k OCI it may be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back