2003 avalanche tailgate problem

This is driving me nuts.

The tailgate started popping open while driving. I replaced the side latches , the striker bolts and the center latch with gm parts. With the rods not attached to the tailgate handle, the tailgate will shut and latch. When i attach the rods to the tail gate handle , the tailgate will unlatch but not latch shut again. I have attached the rods with the tailgate open, closed and lubed everything. It seems the side latches will not catch with the handle rods attached.

I have adjusted the striker bolt position, but they look fine, and latch fine with the center handle disconnected.

Ideas?

Sounds like something in the handle isn't letting the rods go all the way back to the closed position.

I finally figured it out. It was a striker alignment issue. Only one side was truly latching. I took the center latch handle out, and closed the tail gate. Adjusted each striker until the side latch snapped fully. Then with the tail gate closed and each side latch snapped fully closed, i loosened the striker bold until it centered itself in the closed latch, tightened the bolt as much as it would. Opened the latches and fully tightened the striker on each side , then reinstalled the center handle.

It now works.

IMG_20201003_201227297.jpg
IMG_20201003_201245088.jpg

Back