2002 Silverado Tire Chain Recommendation (Snow)

Will be driving thru snow this coming week and don't want to compromise safety.

Looking for solid tire chains that are reasonably priced for a 2002 Silverado 5.3L (2wd).

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Most chain sets have the tire size they fit listed on the box/carrier. They're usually cheaper if purchased away from the show.

Konig chains are solid and easy to install. But they are pricey, compared to things like SCC Cable chains

Peerless Auto-Trac's are good, but people complain about the durability of the tensioning mechanism.

The basic ladder chains can be a PITA to install.

But that's why I got the AWD option, so that in R1 and R2 conditions, I don't need to put on chains, and the extra insurance of buying better performing tires in the snow.

If you have a chain that you're interesting in buying, then look on youtube for installation demonstrations, to see if that's the difficulty you're willing to accept when you get to a chain control checkpoint.

Also, most importantly, practice at the comfort of home first, before you go to the mountains

Last edited:
Konig chains are solid and easy to install. But they are pricey, compared to things like SCC Cable chains

Peerless Auto-Trac's are good, but people complain about the durability of the tensioning mechanism.

But that's why I got the AWD option, so that in R1 and R2 conditions, I don't need to put on chains, and the extra insurance of buying better performing tires in the snow.

If you have a chain that you're interesting in buying, then look on youtube for installation demonstrations, to see if that's the difficulty you're willing to accept when you get to a chain control checkpoint.

Also, most importantly, practice at the comfort of home first, before you go to the mountains

You gave me an idea.

Now looking at Bridgestone's Blizzak DM-V2 or Blizzak W965 (255/70/16).

I can get used Silverado rims for $200, all four, and get the Blizzak's for around $175 each tire (plus installation).

Can then store away snow tires/rims when back in the city.

You gave me an idea.

Now looking at Bridgestone's Blizzak DM-V2 or Blizzak W965 (255/70/16).

I can get used Silverado rims for $200, all four, and get the Blizzak's for around $175 each tire (plus installation).

Can then store away snow tires/rims when back in the city.
But, according to CA law, 3PMSF tires are not a substitute for chains for 2WD vehicles.

It's a little bit late for it now, but years ago (2007 I think) I was in Yosemite with my WRX when I saw someone putting on some (then) SCC Super Z8 cables on the rear tires of his Toyota Tundra. I was leaving and taking one last look, but he was chaining up and getting ready where there were R2 chain requirements. At the time I had a pair of Cobra ladder cables that I have never installed and only kept in the car because I was required to carry something in my car when there were chain conditions. But the guy installing the Super Z8 said it was really easy and better than buying winter tires when he would rarely need them.

I not sure about the Z chain from Peerless (was SCC) but the Super Z6/8 series is really easy. They use a keyhole connectors in three different places rather than those nubs that can be a huge PITA to get tight, and then the tighteners take up the rest of the slack. I'm not sure if the Z-Chain equivalent is as easy to use although it's clear they have chain tighteners. I've also bought Quality Chain Z style (Volt?) chains for my wife's Civic when I was in Tahoe. Never had to use them so I returned them at an AutoZone back home. It was really weird too since most tire traction devices can't be returned - especially at O'Reilly's or Walmart. But those had those little rollers in a diagonal pattern and used spider style chain tighteners. Doesn't look like they have any more rollers except for ladder style cables.

When I had the Cobra ladder cables, they came with instructions that said that their chain tighteners could also be used in addition to just tightening the nubs and tightening them again after driving about 30 feet, and folding the cable ends over at the hole.

Last edited:
Back