2002 Silverado 5.3 Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 02 Silverado 5.3L with 267,000 miles that occasionally does NOT start, does not crank.

I think its the Starter

According to my wife, she turns the ignition and ALL the dash lights turn on but the truck does not start.

When I jump on the truck it starts without a problem.

My wife continued to describe that there is no sound from the engine.
That to me sounds like its not cranking.

I was at work today when this morning she decided to tow it to a local shop.

The shop called me today and told me that when they tried to start the truck it started without a problem.
The shop did acknowledge that there might be a problem because the tow truck driver swore that the truck did not start prior to towing it.

The shop then told me that they checked all connections/wires/cables and everything was OK.
They continued to tell me that it could be the starter or maybe something else.

They gave me a quote to replace the starter and labor for $340.00 plus tax.

I convinced my wife to get the truck out of there and to give me time to look into this.

I would rather replace it myself and lose a few hundred dollars vs 340.00 plus tax.

What else could be going on?
I
n the last 9 months, the no crank experience, has only happened to my wife.

Battery is new

How difficult is the job?
How many hours will it take to replace the starter?

Looks easy

Is there a test that I don't know about that checks the starter?

Which manufacture is recommended and which manufacture should I stay away from?

Napa quoted a brand new (non reman) Bosch starter for $210.00 and it will take 1 week to receive
Napa also has a reman Bosch for 160.00

Advice greatly appreciated

Remy has a NEW unit on Rockauto.com for $112.99, not rebuilt.

I have heard good things about Remy alternators and that's what i put in my Buick recently. Would expect the starters to be pretty nice too.

It isn't wrong to assume a starter issue with that many miles. However, it's hard to diagnose via the web.

If it were my truck, I'd want the peace of mind that my starter wasn't 12 years old with 270k miles on it. However, my experience with aftermarket (and yes, even well known brands such as Bosch) starters, alternators and other electrical parts is that they generally have a much shorter lifespan compared to the OEM unit the vehicle was supplied with.

I'd highly recommend ordering an OEM Delco or Remy (Remy supplies many of the electrical parts to be rebranded as Delco ( which isn't any kind of secret )) branded unit. If you're unhappy with the price, I'd suggest ordering the unit from RockAuto or Amazon.

I see that there is a production date change for your truck and I can't tell if it makes a fitment difference, but the newer style has external bolts for the field case, and the older style has them set internal to the case.

RockAuto has the REMY units both new (either design) (Delco only available reman) for $113 + shipping. The REMY unit comes with a limited lifetime warranty for private use vehicles also.

Last edited:
Starters do often have intermittent no start conditions when going bad. You really cannot diagnose that if it is working though. Other things that could cause this problem...loose/corroded/or otherwise bad wire anywhere between the ign. switch and starter (rare); Bad ign switch (rare); loose/corroded/or otherwise bad battery cables or engine grounds (no so rare); Gear selection lever not fully up into park (next time it happens have her shift the truck to neutral and see if it starts); failing neutral safety switch (rare). If your pretty sure it's the starter, you can get one from Rock Auto (TYC brand new for $63. or AC Delco for $132). They are not difficult to install if you have the tools. You can look up the procedure on YouTube.

run a wire from the "s" terminal on the starter to a light bulb you can see then ground the other leg of the light. when it fails to start see if the light lights up or not.

Last eight on my vin#21132497
Im liking the REMY

How do I know which one will fit my truck?

Look at your starter- one will have small bolts clamping it together from the inside of the case, one will have the clamping screws on the outside. These are the ones that run parallel with the starter's field housing, not the ones that hold it to the engine.

Originally Posted By: Gito
Last eight on my vin#21132497
Im liking the REMY

How do I know which one will fit my truck?

If your original starter has part # 12573853 or 12564111, you need GM part # 10465561, or AC Delco # 323-1468 (series PG260G).

If your original starter has part # 12563908, you need GM part # 10465579, or AC Delco # 323-1475 (series PG260F2).

Parts stores can probably cross the AC Delco numbers. Rockauto.com usually has OE part number references too.

# 10465561 is on 2002-2003 trucks only.
# 10465579 is for the earlier build dates, 1999-2002.

My catalog doesn't list an actual build date cutoff, so there may be overlap. The only way to be sure is to find the part number on the original starter.

Is the starter number visible from underneath or is the number stamped on the top?

When I called GMC and gave them my (last 8) VIN#21132497 the parts guy gave me a number 1045561 and continue to state that it was a Remanufactured starter but OE.

He gave me a second number 88877126 that belonged to a Delco.

I do not know if the parts rep was paying attention to the detail feedback that I'm getting from you guys..

Please advise

PM me your email address and I will send you a screen shot of the catalog.

Your local dealer is just giving the first numbers that show up in the OE list and AC Delco list.

That's a GM number. The ACDelco number is 3371027 - but they're the same exact starter. I'd rather have a rebuilt ACDelco instead of a new Remy, but that's just my preference. $131.79 RockAuto.

Is removing the starter and having a local shop rebuild it a possibility? It would be both cheaper and better than any other rebuild that you could buy.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
PM me your email address and I will send you a screen shot of the catalog.

Your local dealer is just giving the first numbers that show up in the OE list and AC Delco list.

email sent

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's a GM number. The ACDelco number is 3371027 - but they're the same exact starter. I'd rather have a rebuilt ACDelco instead of a new Remy, but that's just my preference. $131.79 RockAuto.

OK, now I'm getting confused.

Which part number belongs to which starter

OK, now I'm getting confused.

Which part number belongs to which starter?

Go to the RockAuto page for your truck and it'll be crystal clear. That's why I like RockAuto because they give you the GM number along with the corresponding ACDelco number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back