2002 Silverado 1500 4wd ATF and diff fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi oil fans! Mom handed down her pickup to me. 2002 Silverado 1500 4wd, 40k miles. Do I need to change the ATF and/or Diff fluids? This truck was kept in a heated garage for the first 8 years and the next 4 in an unheated but well-protected garage. Should I think about changing either of the ATF/Diff fluids or is it still fine? Any advice (provided it's not "now give the truck to me!") would be very welcome. TIA.
smile.gif

I would change the ATF after 12+ years, even if it only has 40k miles. Might as well upgrade to a Dex-VI fluid while you're at it, as it should improve cold shifting and maybe fuel economy a bit. You will probably get some recommendations from others for an Amsoil full syn ATF, which will probably give you the same benefits.

Diffs should be fine, but it's not overly difficult to drain and fill them, so you might as well. I went with Renewable Lubricants LS Gear Oil (full syn) in both the front and rear diffs in my Burb after a recommendation for it here and comparing it's specs to other 75W-90 gear oils. It is available for a decent price on Amazon. You will also get recommendations for Amsoil (Severe Gear, probably) from others here.

You should also change out the transfer case fluid. I believe it is a 30k or 40k interval. Check to see what make/model of transfer case you have, as some only take the GM Auto-Trak II fluid, which you can get at the dealer or O'Reilly Auto. Again, you will probably get several Amsoil recommendations if it can take something other than Auto-Trak II.

I would change them all. I've used a variety of axle fluids (recommended viscosity, limited slip as needed) in my 2006 and all worked fine. The front axle has a drain plug. Not so with the rear.

Mine specifies Dex VI in the trans, and I've used Valvoline Dex VI with good success. I've used only GM Auto-Trak II in the transfer case.

I put a drain plug in the trans pan the first time so I can easily do a fluid change.

When drained, the trans and transfer case fluids typically look relatively clean, but the axle fluids seem to be fairly dirty.

If you drain the rear by removing the cover, be sure to clean the magnet stuck on the cover. It will be covered with iron particles.

SWEEET DEAL! Only 40K Miles!!!! Thats an awesome truck there....

I would change every single fluid in the thing, Start fresh with knowing all fluids are brand new, It will be like a brand new truck for you than. I change all fluids when i get something new; Its just pure fun!

enjoy . . .

I have the exact same truck. I can't believe the mileage. wow.
When I bought mine a few years ago with about 87K I put Valvoline 80W90 Semi gear lube in the front diff n Valvoline 75W90 Synthetic in the rear. Have since replaced both but put in M1 75W90 in rear diff. Drained the Transfer Case in replaced with DexIII. Have replaced the Tranny fluid with DexIII as well. IMHO you should replace all fluids due to the age, not the mileage and enjoy!

JP

At that mileage, you're just in time to start a good ATF regimen. The diff calls for 75W-90. No extra additive is needed even if it has the "locking" G80.

Take a look underneath--You might have drain plugs for the trans pan and differential.

Enjoy the truck.

Change all fluids out.
Upgrade them to a full synthetic.
Don't forget to change coolant, PSF, and brake bleed.

And research the intake manifold gasket issue. Change it out to an aftermarket gasket.

My 2003 Silverado has 33K miles on it. I changed everything at 25K miles. I'm running Delvac TES 295 ATF in the trans and T case (manual T case). You might not have a drain plug in the rear diff. I'd do a trans cooling line fluid exchange.

If you don't go with Renewable Lubricants or Amsoil for the diffs, I recommend Valvoline Synpower 75W-90 LS, as it is readily available and lists MIL-PRF-2105E and SAE J2360 under "Approvals/Performance Levels" on the PDS (http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower_gear.pdf). I decided to look for J2360 when looking for gear oil for the Burb based on dnewton's recommendations in multiple past threads.

Thanks for the very helpful information, guys. As to the LIM gasket, I actually have a 02 grand am that suffered from this and it was highly irritating. I didn't realize the 02 5.3 V8 had the same issue? Please tell me it didn't?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JeremyInMT
Thanks for the very helpful information, guys. As to the LIM gasket, I actually have a 02 grand am that suffered from this and it was highly irritating. I didn't realize the 02 5.3 V8 had the same issue? Please tell me it didn't?
smile.gif

I had to have the LIM gasket replaced on the Burb, but I didn't realize it was a "thing".

How much of the lubes do I need? I suppose I can look this up easily, but this is a good conversation.

Originally Posted By: JeremyInMT
Hi oil fans! Mom handed down her pickup to me. 2002 Silverado 1500 4wd, 40k miles. Do I need to change the ATF and/or Diff fluids? This truck was kept in a heated garage for the first 8 years and the next 4 in an unheated but well-protected garage. Should I think about changing either of the ATF/Diff fluids or is it still fine? Any advice (provided it's not "now give the truck to me!") would be very welcome. TIA.
smile.gif

Wow, that truck is still a baby.
smile.gif

I would change all the fluids.

For the tranny about 6 quarts of:

Redline D6

or

Amsoil LV ATF

For the differential I would purchase 3 quarts of:

Redline Differential Lube

or

Amsoil 75W110