2002 intrepid R/T

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a question in regards to my mothers car. She bought it new in 2002, has the 3.5 Ho magnum v6 in it. The kicker is this car has less then 80,000km, kilometers, not miles. It's only seen short trips most of its life. Like less then 10km a few times a week.

Now I haven't looked at the owners manual for it in a long time but I poked at her many years ago to run synthetic in her car and surprisingly she's listened, was just over there the other day and seen a jug of Mobil 1 5w30 in the garage.

My only concern is this engine recommends 10w30, 5w30 in some cases for colder temperatures but we don't live in an area that gets that cold and it's always parked in the garage. She's been running Mobil 1 5w30 for the past 5-6 years no issues.

I'm just wondering because of the type of driving conditions this car is subject to, would the 10w30 synthetic be a better option for protecting this motor during these short trips or is 5w30 going to be just fine? Don't wanna freak her out and tell her she's been using the wrong oil this whole time lol.

Britsh Columbia doesn't get cold? I'm sure it's not hurting a thing, especially since she does all short trips.

I didn't realize they still offered the 3.5 in 2002, I thought the big motor was the 3.2 by then.

The 3.5 was used for many years after 2002

I think it was used in the 300's and chargers and challengers until 2010.

And in the winter it's maybe -8c

Very rare days it's -10

5w-30 is a perfectly acceptable replacement for 10w-30 in your application, short tripping or long tripping. If it were me, I'd be using the 5w-30 anyhow. I haven't bought 10w-30 in a very long time.

Heck, come to Saskatchewan. If you wanted to buy a 10w-30 synthetic from Canadian Tire, you'd have a very difficult time doing so. They cleared most of them out permanently.

Originally Posted By: Garak
5w-30 is a perfectly acceptable replacement for 10w-30 in your application, short tripping or long tripping. If it were me, I'd be using the 5w-30 anyhow. I haven't bought 10w-30 in a very long time.

Heck, come to Saskatchewan. If you wanted to buy a 10w-30 synthetic from Canadian Tire, you'd have a very difficult time doing so. They cleared most of them out permanently.

+1. 5w-30 is good for your location.

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure, she tends to keep her vehicles for a very long time. This is only her 3rd vehicle she's had and she's been driving for over 35 years lol.

She doesn't even like driving it anymore because it's so [censored] long and has a [censored] turning radius but she refuses to sell a perfectly good car for something else because she knows she won't get much for it.

I had a laugh when I popped the hood and seen a AEM cone filter still on it from probably 10 years ago when I was 16 and decided to "mod" her car and remove the air box.

Told her she should probably get that filter replaced

The short trip actually make the case for the 5W instead of teh 10W. The oil is not coming up to full temp for prolonged periods, so the slightly less viscous 5W at cold start is working better. the motor is still tight with that low mileage, so I wouldn't worry.

Maybe after she gets over 100K, she might want to switch up, but if it ain't broke, why fix it ...

Last edited:
That's what I'm hoping. She won't get rid of a vehicle until a major repair comes up and it's been many years,but with how little she drives, going to be around a long while lol.

Needs a new catalytic converter I'm sure by now, says that after coming home and parking it, she smells fuel, the hotter it gets, the stronger the smell. I'm thinking its clogged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back