2002 Honda Accord, 3.0 V6, Amsoil 0w20 8000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
A wix filter was used for this OCI, which was about 12 months. The car is mostly used for a 17 mile commute, although it does see plenty WOT bursts. I'm not sure what to make of the bearing wear, but the oil seemed to hold up well.

AccordUOA.gif

I would consider the following. Going to a heavier oil. Maybe changing driving habits. Perhaps you are lugging the engine or not letting it waym fully before mashing the gas. But again this is one sample and we have no history of previous changes.

The thing is though that a lot of 30 wt. oils thin down to 9 cSt. anyways. So that may not be the answer either. With colder weather coming on..again watch the lugging and fast acceleration before warming fully,.

high quality top line expensive oil with some of the best base stocks available on the market.
quality engine manuf. design with low wear patterns established over thousands of units and millions of miles.

don't change a thing. at the next OCI do another UOA. may be just a sampling or testing anomaly.

if the wear metals were 10 times worse then there would be something to worry about.

if this engine won' survive for 300k miles on Amsoil 0w20, it was toast from the factory.

Pablo, this was the first AMSOIL use.

My fiancee purchased this car new and had it maintained at a local garage until I took over the maintenance two years ago. The OCI previous to the AMSOIL was Pennzoil YB 5w20, I suspect the local garage used bulk 5w30 or 10w30 as she commented on how much better the car turned over on cold mornings with the Pennzoil and especially the AMSOIL.

Al, during this OCI the car was normally driven pretty gently until it is at full operating temperature. It is nearly impossible to lug this engine as the car has an automatic transmission that downshifts if the engine has any sort of load below 2000 rpms. However, the first 50k or so on this vehicle included a lot of short trips (~1.5 mile commute) and my fiancee had a bad habit of heavy throttle with the engine not warmed up.

We now have a longer commute, and with my threat of heavier throttle springs
grin2.gif
the car is now allowed to warm up before any heavy throttle.

You said Wix filter but was this for the oil or air filter? What is the air filter type & history of change-out like?

No TBN?

My ~ 8k mile run on the same stuff in the same car/engine was at ~ 80k miles. My copper & lead was 17 & 5 respectively. It was also sent to Blackstone. Iron was 10 & silicon was 8. My insolubles were a tad lower as was flashpoint. This was posted here around Feb-2008.

Was the oil still at the full mark when changed?

Wix oil filter, factory air filter was replaced at 50k with an STP paper air filter, replaced again at this oil change.

Oil was still full, dropped about 1/8" on the dipstick over the course of this OCI.

If this was your first Amsoil use and you went 8K, some allowance must be made for clean up of surfaces. When this happens, it's possible to have a Cu/Pb blip in some engines. Trending is the key, if next run your metals go up, start suspecting something is amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back