2002 Harley Heritage Classic (FLSTC) CARBED

Stage "1". Slip-ons, rejet, upgraded filter. The blackstone comments that reference engine work is one oil change ago, the cam tensioners were replaced. Bike was ran 35 miles before sample was taken. 1 year between change. Seems to be a trend on BITOG with high iron and aluminum with M1. Yes? Let me know all your thoughts.

Capture+_2020-04-27-17-19-32.png

I like the M1 20w50, used it in the ZRX1200 last riding season. 5,065 miles, sus vis 93.7, tbn 6.4, flashpoint 410, aluminum 24, iron 15.

Aluminum can be from the clutch basket in the shared sump that gives the ZRX it's aluminum number. However I did put pistons in about 12,000 miles ago, so it had been about 7,000 miles after the pistons when I began to run the 20w50. But popular opinion around here says it's from the clutch basket.

Not sure what aluminum may be from in your case, pistons?

This round I went with M1 10w40 4T again. I had run it the oil change previous to the 20w50 as well and had almost identical wear numbers across the board for just under 5,000 miles.

Yes, the aluminum would be from the pistons. I plan on riding alot more this year, so I'll give it a change or two and see. The M1 is actually getting harder to find here. Walmart and the autoparts stores quit handling it. Most have lucas and Castrol Power1 vtwin now. Hellofa lot cheaper even if I had to change it more often.

Last edited:
Haven't been in Walmart for a couple weeks but they had both M1 and the Supertech motorcycle oils side-by-side. I'm not going to take the leap and run the Supertech but I'm waiting to see an analysis of any version of the Supertech MC oils. 10w30 ATV, 10w40 or 20w50. I'm sure the oil is fine however with the flat tappet rocker arm system in the ZRX the extra zinc/phos the Mobil oils offer is desirable. If they have additive packages similar to the Mobil motorcycle oils, I am all in.

I wasn't aware Supertech had a MC line. My WM def doesn't have it, but it's one of the smallest WM's I've ever seen. I'd be interested, if I find some I'll do a VOA.

Took a picture of it yesterday when I stopped by Walmart, it was on my mind from this thread. They had 20w50 however there's typically 10w30 ATV and 10w40 as well. Next to Mobil 1 for comparison. Mobil 1 MC oil, either flavor, is the best oil I have run in a shared sump based on shift quality, maintaining viscosity and TBN is strong after 5,000 miles for either oil.

[Linked Image]

Back