2002 ford escape v6 oil pan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
asking for help for those that have done this...

my old 2002 ford escape is leaking from the pan. in looking into this, it appears the oil pan has been replaced with a new design. with the new design, a new gasket is required (basically the 2005 gasket is to be used with the new replacement pan).

my question is this: how can this be? if the 2002 gasket will not work with the new pan, how could the new gasket (which fits the new pan) work with the "old" engine block?

confused.

Consider the gasket the adaptor between two mating surfaces. The engine block remains the same but some groove or something in the pan is now different.

Are you sure it's the pan leaking? Check the 3/4 power steering hose going into the top of the ps pump. Mine had a small crack right where the top of the metal barb that leaked for a long time. Originally I thought it was the oil pan or a front seal leaking.

The old pan has a flat flange and uses a flat gasket. The new pan is a groove in it with an o-ring style gasket that fits in the groove. The block has a flat flange.

I have notes in my look-up that if I look up an old oil pan gasket for one of these reminding me of the new gasket number to make sure that I have both in stock when I quote one out.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The old pan has a flat flange and uses a flat gasket. The new pan is a groove in it with an o-ring style gasket that fits in the groove. The block has a flat flange.

I have notes in my look-up that if I look up an old oil pan gasket for one of these reminding me of the new gasket number to make sure that I have both in stock when I quote one out.

So you completely embed the o-ring style gasket within the pans groove? [or this happens automatically when you torque in the pan bolts]

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

So you completely embed the o-ring style gasket within the pans groove? [or this happens automatically when you torque in the pan bolts]

don't quote me on specifics, but the new gasket is like a flat o-ring that is maybe a little over 1/4" tall. The groove in the pan is less than that, so there is your seal. If i think of it I will take a pic of the new setup tomorrow at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back