2002 Chevy 5.8L in van won't start...

Had this happen to my Sierra, every once in a while it wouldn't start. After making an appointment to have it towed I went out the day before to make sure it wouldn't start and it popped right off. Did it again a few months later, waited a few days and it started. Figured out it was happening after it rained for a few days with high humidity. Changed out cap and rotor and has never happened again.

You must have an air leak letting in moisture some where if the cap doesn't have a crack in it.

Had this happen to my Sierra, every once in a while it wouldn't start. After making an appointment to have it towed I went out the day before to make sure it wouldn't start and it popped right off. Did it again a few months later, waited a few days and it started. Figured out it was happening after it rained for a few days with high humidity. Changed out cap and rotor and has never happened again.

You must have an air leak letting in moisture some where if the cap doesn't have a crack in it.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new distributor - I think there's a way that moisture is getting in also.
It is running fine right now with the new cap/rotor I replaced yesterday.

That thing looks crusty inside! I wonder if a vented cap would help to prevent corrosion? Here's a kit from the "premium" category on RockAuto.

United Motor Products Cap & Rotor

I haven't bought a distributor cap in a long time, but the Standard "Blue Streak" line was my go-to when I did. I usually cleaned the cap and rotor contacts a few times before replacing. I probably went three points changes on a cap and rotor with my Slant-Six Duster. On the '87 Caprice with a small-cap HEI, I replaced the cap when I bought it but can't remember touching it again in 50,000 miles.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new distributor - I think there's a way that moisture is getting in also.
It is running fine right now with the new cap/rotor I replaced yesterday.
When I was searching for my issue (why wont my truck start after it rains) I believe I read there is suppose to be a vent hole or two covered with a screen, maybe look to see if they are clogged.

I'll throw in my 2 cents... I had a buddy that had the Knock Sensor go out & caused a no start on his K1500 5.0L

Fun Fact:
Said buddy above told me he had a 5.0L in his truck & I would give him a hard time about it since I had the 5.7L. Then one day he mentioned it had 305,000 Miles on it. I quick harassing him after that ha ha!

Back