2002 Acura TL does this sound like the main relay is bad?

Well, now that you've had practice...
It is good to see the failed solder joint. That way others know what to look for. This is an all-to common problem.
Also look for relays and transistor chip flopping all over the place! :ROFLMAO::D:eek:

Thank you!
He said he still might sell it; the whole thing was a "bad omen". l told him NO! We'll give him a few days, I guess.
But now at least, he can get a better price for it.
I actually think it will be OK! If he keeps it, we are going to get one for a spare and he'll keep it in the car.

May as well keep the question here, Looks like we need an alternator for her 2005 Honda Pilot.
I am thinking about testing the windings and if OK, getting a rebuild kit for hers if l can find one.
If not, what is my best bet for an alternator for that car?
Called LKQ l can get a used one for $65.00, with one year replacement, car has 82,000 miles on it.
hey glad it worked out well.. guess it goes against anything BITOG stands for, to repair it and move on, instead of selling it but hey that's us here on this forum.. to each their own, doesn't mean I agree but ok..

about the alternator, if you can get a rebuild kit then that's probably the best way, at least you know the quality of everything! I have an older TYC alternator in my Civic it's been awesome. been running well for 10 years now. if I needed a new one I'd probably look at TYC (all new components) today.. Others on this forum have said Bosch reman is good, denso some say it's all new, others say they only replace what's bad.. I've had good results with TYC..

Thank you!
He said he still might sell it; the whole thing was a "bad omen". l told him NO! We'll give him a few days, I guess.
But now at least, he can get a better price for it.
I actually think it will be OK! If he keeps it, we are going to get one for a spare and he'll keep it in the car.

May as well keep the question here, Looks like we need an alternator for her 2005 Honda Pilot.
I am thinking about testing the windings and if OK, getting a rebuild kit for hers if l can find one.
If not, what is my best bet for an alternator for that car?
Called LKQ l can get a used one for $65.00, with one year replacement, car has 82,000 miles on it.
For Hondas, the only reliable choice in rebuilt alternators and starters are remanufactured DENSO units. While the DENSO has a 1 yr. warranty and other auto parts store rebuilts or new units may have a limited lifetime warranty, on a Honda, it is not a job you want to redo every year or two. I have installed 5 or 6 DENSO remanufactured alternators/starters in Honda Civics/Accords/Elements/Odysseys/Pilots over the last decade and none have ever failed. I order from SUMMIT Racing because they offer free shipping over $109 and it arrives in 2 to 3 days.

It's $149 + $70 refundable core charge at SUMMIT Racing:

DENSO Pilot Alternator @ SUMMIT

For Hondas, the only reliable choice in rebuilt alternators and starters are remanufactured DENSO units. While the DENSO has a 1 yr. warranty and other auto parts store rebuilts or new units may have a limited lifetime warranty, on a Honda, it is not a job you want to redo every year or two. I have installed 5 or 6 DENSO remanufactured alternators/starters in Honda Civics/Accords/Elements/Odysseys/Pilots over the last decade and none have ever failed. I order from SUMMIT Racing because they offer free shipping over $109 and it arrives in 2 to 3 days.

It's $149 + $70 refundable core charge at SUMMIT Racing:

DENSO Pilot Alternator @ SUMMIT

Thank you!
Okay I'm going to have to see what he wants to do.

hey glad it worked out well.. guess it goes against anything BITOG stands for, to repair it and move on, instead of selling it but hey that's us here on this forum.. to each their own, doesn't mean I agree but ok..

about the alternator, if you can get a rebuild kit then that's probably the best way, at least you know the quality of everything! I have an older TYC alternator in my Civic it's been awesome. been running well for 10 years now. if I needed a new one I'd probably look at TYC (all new components) today.. Others on this forum have said Bosch reman is good, denso some say it's all new, others say they only replace what's bad.. I've had good results with TYC..
Oh good to know I saw those TYC on RockAuto I wondered about them. Okay thanks!
I'm going to have to see what he wants to do.
I also remembered we have a good rebuilder a few towns over in downtown Wheeling West Virginia and they are good. We used to deal with him when I worked at the highway department!
They have an armature lathe and everything!
I told him if it was me I would keep what he has, but it's up to him.
I told him you might end up with something worse!

Oh good to know I saw those TYC on RockAuto I wondered about them. Okay thanks!
I'm going to have to see what he wants to do.
I also remembered we have a good rebuilder a few towns over in downtown Wheeling West Virginia and they are good. We used to deal with him when I worked at the highway department!
They have an armature lathe and everything!
I told him if it was me I would keep what he has, but it's up to him.
I told him you might end up with something worse!
Ya that's the problem lately out there, who has the quality you can depend on! That's awesome the rebuilder has an armature lathe, now we're talking! very cool. Keep us posted on how it turns out.. (y)

Ya that's the problem lately out there, who has the quality you can depend on! That's awesome the rebuilder has an armature lathe, now we're talking! very cool. Keep us posted on how it turns out.. (y)
I sure will it's always nice to follow up. I have been going through the archives and I can't stand when you get to the end of the thread with no resolution!

If you have a local re-builder available who is reputable, that is the way to go! It is always better to keep the Honda OEM alternator than replacing it with a rebuilt unit or generic clone copy. DENSO rebuilt would be my second option.

If you have a local re-builder available who is reputable, that is the way to go! It is always better to keep the Honda OEM alternator than replacing it with a rebuilt unit or generic clone copy. DENSO rebuilt would be my second option.
Yeah probably what we're going to do it's going to be up to him and of course it depends on how much the local rebuilder wants to charge me.
I remember right he told me about $100 but that was for another car that was for a Grand Prix don't know if the denso type would be more expensive.
I will have to get with him (the rebuilder) Tuesday.

I can't remember if I said it here or if I told the neighbor the two black things are relays and then I said that the white thing was some kind of chip or transistor actually looking at it better it is a resistor also the fact that it only has two terminals going to it!
It also says XX volts and xx ohems symbol.

Or.. could simply use desoldering braid.. place over solder, heat with soldering iron, solder sucked up into braid.. done.. no mess, quick :geek:

In this case just heating up the existing solder to "re-flow" would be good enough, unless it's lead-free and it grew "whiskers".. Then I'd desolder and apply leaded 60/40 solder, just don't breathe the fumes!!
I had some of the old style rosin core solder from radio shack in my electrical box!

Back