2002 Acura TL does this sound like the main relay is bad?

Desoldering - I don't recommend doing this but people do it all the time.

Once the old solder is melted, hit it with a short burst of compressed air. Just make sure the nozzle is pointed away from you. Might want to do this outside. Wouldn't hurt to wear eye protection and a particulate mask.

The best alternative for home DIY:

Desoldering - I don't recommend doing this but people do it all the time.

Once the old solder is melted, hit it with a short burst of compressed air. Just make sure the nozzle is pointed away from you. Might want to do this outside. Wouldn't hurt to wear eye protection and a particulate mask.

The best alternative for home DIY:

Or.. could simply use desoldering braid.. place over solder, heat with soldering iron, solder sucked up into braid.. done.. no mess, quick :geek:

In this case just heating up the existing solder to "re-flow" would be good enough, unless it's lead-free and it grew "whiskers".. Then I'd desolder and apply leaded 60/40 solder, just don't breathe the fumes!!

Or.. could simply use desoldering braid.. place over solder, heat with soldering iron, solder sucked up into braid.. done.. no mess, quick :geek:

In this case just heating up the existing solder to "re-flow" would be good enough, unless it's lead-free and it grew "whiskers".. Then I'd desolder and apply leaded 60/40 solder, just don't breathe the fumes
and he's getting disgusted with the car he said he wants to sell it and get something more "dependable" his wife has a Honda pilot 2005 nice looking car needs an alternator they're thinking about selling them both.
Sometimes you can only do so much.
I personally don't think he's going to find a more dependable car than an Acura or a Honda.
I told him pull the relay we'll see if we can

Sorry I can't get this thing to edit on my phone.
Let me start over.
I'm trying, he's getting disgusted with the car says he wants to sell it and get something "more reliable"
The reason it's not reliable is more than likely that main relay,
His wife has a 2005 pilot it needs an alternator he said that they're thinking of selling them both and getting one new car,
I told him I hate to see you throw money away.
He'll sell that car for $300 I'm guessing somebody will come along flatbed it put a main relay in it clean it up and get five grand for it.

Try to convince your friend to buy this $20 replacement relay from Amazon and just reach up and detach the wiring plug from the existing relay without removing it from the bracket. You can just plug in the new relay and let it hang temporarily or ty-wrap it to the adjacent wires. This process will take 2 minutes max. and you wont have to fight to detach the old relay from the bracket.
1693531823550.jpg

Try to convince your friend to buy this $20 replacement relay from Amazon and just reach up and detach the wiring plug from the existing relay without removing it from the bracket. You can just plug in the new relay and let it hang temporarily or ty-wrap it to the adjacent wires. This process will take 2 minutes max. and you wont have to fight to detach the old relay from the bracket.
View attachment 176114
Thanks I texted him he didn't get back to me yet he said he's going to pull the relay tomorrow I just don't want to see the kid make a mistake I mean it's a young couple three kids they don't they don't have good jobs or anything.
And I'll tell you what this car is clean!
Thanks for the link or the picture rather, I'll find it

I personally don't think he's going to find a more dependable car than an Acura or a Honda.
I told him pull the relay we'll see if we can
hey I didn't realize the full situation.. ya when all the car needs is a new main relay, which is a common problem on the Honda's. it's not the right move to throw out the car.. but.. you're right you can only do so much!

That relay does look like a good part, heck for that price forget trying to re-solder the old one! I remember when the speedometer went bad on my Civic, re-soldering did NOT fix it.. I had to replace it. On the Honda forums people have re-soldered the main relay and usually it works..sometimes it doesnt.. But for this situation, newer is probably better. I know I've gotten some of those no-name chinese parts and the scary part, they're actually really decent! I just replaced the blower resistor on my Civic's blower fan with a no-name and the thing works great! Who knows how long it will last, but for the price, it's worth taking a chance. Plus when compared to the other name brand aftermarket it actually was built better. crazy I know.

Glad that @Nukeman7 found that, awesome!

He was cussing in the background pull the volume down is kids are around!
{Think this could be the lssue? LOL

Last edited:
I had a Honda years ago that wouldn't start when it got hot inside the car. There was a relay under the dash that went bad and heat made it worse. If you opened the doors and let the interior cool, the car would start. It was fairly easy and cheap to replace.

I had a Honda years ago that wouldn't start when it got hot inside the car. There was a relay under the dash that went bad and heat made it worse. If you opened the doors and let the interior cool, the car would start. It was fairly easy and cheap to replace.
Probably the same relay!

Fired RIGHT UP!!!!✌️✌️
Thanks Guys!
Hey that's AWESOME! but that video I was laughing my butt off.. wow.. (sarcam here) ya it MIGHT be the problem.. lol.. wiggling the relays and other components on the board! that's crazy!

Glad a little re-soldering fixed it for your friend, nice! Thanks for the update, after this if it fails (it might not, but if it did) that $20 no-name relay might be the quick answer too. But soldering a little is a nice and cheap fix! :D(y)

What did the owner of the car say about getting rid of the car now?

Yup that's the same main relay, it's behind the glove box on the Civics of that era.. (right side)

Hey that's AWESOME! but that video I was laughing my butt off.. wow.. (sarcam here) ya it MIGHT be the problem.. lol.. wiggling the relays and other components on the board! that's crazy!:LOL::LOL:

Glad a little re-soldering fixed it for your friend, nice! Thanks for the update, after this if it fails (it might not, but if it did) that $20 no-name relay might be the quick answer too. But soldering a little is a nice and cheap fix! :D(y)

What did the owner of the car say about getting rid of the car now?
Thank you!
He said he still might sell it; the whole thing was a "bad omen". l told him NO! We'll give him a few days, I guess.
But now at least, he can get a better price for it.
I actually think it will be OK! If he keeps it, we are going to get one for a spare and he'll keep it in the car.

May as well keep the question here, Looks like we need an alternator for her 2005 Honda Pilot.
I am thinking about testing the windings and if OK, getting a rebuild kit for hers if l can find one.
If not, what is my best bet for an alternator for that car?
Called LKQ l can get a used one for $65.00, with one year replacement, car has 82,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
Back