2002 A4 1.8TQ - 7,106 miles - M1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! Long time lurcker - first time poster...

SAMPLE DATE: 04/22/05
MILES ON OIL: 7,106
MILES ON UNIT: 33,117
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

This Sample/Universal Avgs.
Aluminum 5/4
Chromium 1/1
Iron 40/18
Copper 12/7
Lead 2/2
Tin 0/1
Molybdenum 63/59
Nickel 1/1
Manganese 0/1
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 2/1
Boron 67/66
Silicon 20/11
Sodium 6/6
Calcium 2608/2303
Magnesium 10/247
Phosphorus 750/760
Zinc 883/910
Barium 0/0

INSOLUBLES - 0.4%
WATER - 0%
ANTIFREEZE - 0%
FUEL - FLASHPOINT - 375ºF; should be >375!
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF - 68.6

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: The highlighted metals are probably from lingering wear-in, if you've been running long oil changes from the start. If you have been running shorter oil changes and this is the first long one, then the iron and copper may be your Audi's way of letting you know it prefers shorter oil changes. The TBN read 2.0, not much active additive left. We consider 1.0 or lower to be too low. The slight fuel
dilution is from city driving or idling and should disappear next time if you take her out on the highway before sampling. Check back to monitor. (My comment: Dealer performed oil change and took sample. Car sat for 4+ hours before and I don't know if sample was taken mid-drain.)

Some history: 8,000 miles on factory fill then about 4,000 on ???, probably dealer dino. Then made the switch to M1 0w40. Changed out first M1 fill at 3,000 which was in there for a year as car sat alot during that period. Then went 10,000 over 9 months and then this (my first tested) sample which was in over the last 6 months - obviously over winter. Car sees 60/40 city/highway and is run fairly hard. I have yet to install any performance mods yet. Still has original air filter/plugs, etc.

Any comments? Could the high iron and copper really be from lingering wear-in? Oh yeah! One final note - I threw BMW/Mini Syn. 5w30 (A3-rated) in this time. They were going to use it last change (paid service) but I preferred the M1 I brought with me so I took it home with me. I assume this should last me 5-6,000 miles until my 40K service...

TBN (noted in Blackstone comments) was 2.0. You are correct. I'd like to keep my changes at twice a year (about 7,000 mi. OCIs). Maybe try LC?

Either the motor is at the tail-end of the break-in phase or there's a leak along the air intake passage and/or faulty installation of the filter.

I've run 15,000 mile service intervals in my engines for the past 27+ years and never seen any effects of residual wear metals in the analysis.

My Deutsch is a bit rusty, but I think your engine is "telling you" to change out the original air filter and switch to the Mobil 1, 5w-40. This should solve the abnormal wear pattern - Ja?

Tooslick

I have the same engine,year Audi and from my oil analysis reports it is happier with 5K changes doesn't matter if I am running GC 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40, the TBN is way down at 5K, that is a small sump and a hardworking turbo to say the least. Save the engine and change every 5K (and get your airfilter changed!)

Too Slick -
Regarding your suggestion of M1 5w40(T&SUV, I assume), I just read a post of yours to another 1.8T owner stating that you see NO reason to run this grade in this application as it prefers 0w30, 5w30 or 10w30 weights. I agree on new air filter and more frequent changes but I guess my question is...Is M1 5w40 a good choice for the Audi (small sump) 1.8T?

offtopic.gif

Jeff,
Do you run the oversized OEM oil filter on your Audi? I believe the part # is 068-115-561B. It allows you to increase the oil capacity by 1/4 quart, give or take.

Hi,
JeffPGH - yes M1 SUV 5w-40 or Delvac 1 5w-40 is a good choice for this engine

If you have not recently opened up the engine and used new gaskets or sealent the silicon level does appear to be quite high and along with the filter all inlet tract connections should be checked for integrity

M1 0w-40 is VW Approved for this engine and will do very well as this report suggests - as will the oil you are using now

Regards
Doug

Wayne - Haven't used the oversized filter yet but I plan to on MY changes. The dealer is still using the smaller ones for the warranty changes since Audi hasn't speced them for my model year (yet).

Doug - Engine has NOT been opened up at all. I'll make sure to check the entire intake when I change out the filter (this week) but I'm almost hoping the dealer tech, who collected the sample, may have contaminated the sample.

Thanks again for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back