2002-04 havoline dino, 4K miles 9 months, dump it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI all! Wy back, 2002 or 04, i was at walmart, and found bottles of havoline dino for like 79cents, clearance! I bought like 40 bottles, 10w30 and 5w30. its a 98 corolla. I like too use 10w30 summer, 5w30 wninter. I am just approaching 4 miles, mostly stop and go taxi like traffic, and short trips, though 2 times a month i will do a nice 35 mile ride, not highway.
Oil last month looked brown, but had that nice gold hugh around the sides. I am using a toyota filter. i added rislone concentrate some 700 miles ago. Looked at oil yesterday, 3, 992 miles, it looked cleaned up. I only use top tier gas too, mobil msotly, sometimes shell 87. and Usualy tcw3 in gas.
SO toyota recommneds oil changes at 5000 miles. ever conditions it was less than 3 000 miles. im at 4000 miles practicaly. should i dump it, seeing how clean the oil still looks? i mean its dark brown beofre starting, looking at dipstick, after driving around waiting a few minutes driving, it appears somewhat newish.
what shoold i do?

Last edited:
It's a 98 Corolla. Keep it topped off until it's warm outside and change it in another couple thousand miles. An oil's color means next to nothing by the way. Even jet black could still be protecting just fine.

Since you have oil on hand that was purchased super cheap I would replace it. It has seen severe service and ideally should have replaced at the 6 month mark.

Yes its driven daily, but its about 4 miles too work, and 4 miles back. BUt the digital odometer accounts for the unbelivable stopping at red lights here, traffic jamming up rush hour, so adds a bit more it seems. too help clean it up a bit, with my avialable time, why 2 time a month i do a nice 34 mile ride, though its not highway.
ive seen n read here others, who have done similar and had good UOA's. figured maybe the 6 month oil change, even for severe, regarding todays oils, is not so necessary. i always let the engine warm up, so the temp needle is at mid mark before engaging in reverse.

If its not opaque, creamy, neither milky, the goldish and the darker colors are well defined, don't worry much for the short tripping, since the longer runs are taking care of the humidity. If it isn't misfiring, the fuel content should be low, not smelling gas, not dilution, since 1% of gas is low and gives gas smell to the lube.
I'd do a blotter spot test in a carboard paper on it to see those question better aswered though. If you don't have several circles, like dart targets, but just 2 phases one clear and one dark with smooth countour, keep the oil for a few more miles. 6 months is more for a car that are moved a lot in garages, like in a vallet parking. If you alyas run the 4 mikes after starting, you're fine,IMO.

Last edited:
But you also coukd try the MOTOROILHOUR app, it has several entrandes and a good algorithim on it. Get 15 free on google store apps.

By spring? By spring ide have 7,000 miles,on the havoline dino oil..i dont think it was, is supposed too go that far! I looked at it this afternoon, after it sat overnight,my corolla. oil looked dark brown, just turning black. SO close too 4,000 miles. its when i drive the car, wait like 5 minutes and check dipstick again, it appears slightly brown, goldish hugh around its edges.
checking cold oil is a good visual indicator? or waiting after some driving?

When in doubt , change it.
It seems that it's going to eat at you if you don't.
Ultimately it's up to you.

My vibe has the toyota 1ZZFE and is short tripped constantly.
Most trips under 5 miles.
I change it every six months(ish). Usually around 3-4k miles.
it's nearing 200k and eats about 1 qt per 2k miles.

wow..i didint think reg dino was able toohold that much. inthepast, it was 3,000 miles. asian cars recommend 5,000 miles. i was under the impression dino 5,000 max.7,500 on a blend, and waypast that, synthetic..

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
If its not opaque, creamy, neither milky, the goldish and the darker colors are well defined, don't worry much for the short tripping, since ..........

This ..

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Since you have oil on hand that was purchased super cheap I would replace it. It has seen severe service and ideally should have replaced at the 6 month mark.

What he sez!

im gunna change it. However im planning on using gumout high mileage,half a tank of gas, run it, then run some supertech version of MMO through intake, clean it out a little, or gumout GDI cleaner, havnt decided, then drain, new filter, fill with old cheap oil, run 30 minutes, drain and do the actual oil change
could gumout regaine or high mileage gas additive be safe ok too spray into the intake?

That's WAY ocd in my opinion. Just do the oil change if the car is running good. You are running quality oil at good intervals and running quality gas. There shouldn't be any build up in the crankcase or intake. Running that much mmo can cause build up on plugs. My dad always warned me about running products like gum out, as they can do more harm than good, hard on gaskets and seals, but that was back in the days of carberators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back