2001 suburban brake issue well used 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a well used 2001 Suburban 5.3 half ton , from a individual . The ABS brake light was on and he said he had it disconnected because the sensor was bad. Truck stops fine as rotors and pads have been replaced within the last 20,000 . This morning at about mile 80 of my ownership the red brake light comes on and starts flashing on the dash and the buzzer is going off like when the door is open with the key in the ignition . Brake fluid level is fine and there does not appear to be any leaks.When the truck is stopped the light is still flashing on the dash but the buzzer stops. Buzzer starts again at anything over 5mph in reverse or forward. Is this related to the ABS sensor issue or do i need to look somewhere else? Truck has 189635 miles. Thanks for your thoughts

That's what happened to my mom's 2003 Buick Rendezvous. It had a brake leak that I fixed and topped off with fluid (and bled) and the brake warning alarm wouldn't go off. I unplugged the connector that's on the master cylinder and the light went off and the alarm went away. ABS still works and it stops great.

I don't know on GM, but on Hondas a flashing red light and buzzer just means you've been driving with the parking brake set.

Next time steer clear of used cars with the ABS light on, who knows what has been tried to get rid of it, and who knows what crazy expensive repairs it may need to fix it. For every used car with a problem there is another one just like it for sale without the problem.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I unplugged the connector that's on the master cylinder and the light went off and the alarm went away.

That connector goes to a Brake Fluid Level Sensor. A bad sensor will cause a red brake light to come on. If the e-brake is enganged....that will also cause the brake light to come on.

I don't have any suggestions about the red brake light problem, but it would be good to find out what was disconnected in relation to the ABS light.

The ABS pump started running constantly on my 2001 Silverado, and I pulled the fuse to make it drivable. I sent the ABS controller to a company called Module Master to be rebuilt for less than $200. A new part was more than $1000.

issue fixed. Parking brake was not in "home" position . Pulled up on brake pedal while pulling release button and lights went off on dash. Dropping it back down set the light off again. Learned something new today . Paid 1700 for the Suburban. Some rust issues but it was well maintained oil wise and lots of repairs have been done i got a mountain of receipts from the guy for alternator, water pump, oil changes, batteries , fuel filters , injector cleanings, brake rotors and pads, brake lines, ect ect . I expect there to be issues.. Transmission doesnt make a sound when shifting, tires have 10,000 miles on them , 4x4 moves in a out without a sound or hesitation . all in all well worth the coin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back