2001 sequoia ac not blowing hard

Hello. 2001 Toyota Sequoia, the AC is cold but even on high it blows like it’s on low but I can hear the fan and it sounds like it’s on high. I replaced the blower motor about 3 years ago. I checked and it’s clean inside, no rats nests and this vehicle has no cabin air filter. I’m hesitant to replace the blower motor since I can hear it spinning on high but it’s just not blowing that hard. Am I off base on this or is there something else I can check? Thank you.

I am also in the plugged up evaporator camp on this one. Its had plenty of time to get plugged up or the coil is freezing up and air can't get through

Evaporator plugged with debris?
I’m decently handy and can follow directions, but when it comes to AC, I’m an idiot. Lol. When doing some online research I found the videos on how to clean the AC system thru the AC condensation drain hose, which I plan to do. Is this What you would advise or is there something separate I need to do? Thanks for the help.

Does the same weak airflow show up on max heat? That will help answer if a clog is related to the AC evaporator or not.
I just checked. The heat seems to blow a little harder than the AC and it does get hot. I also did locate the condensation drain in the engine bay.

Last edited:
I should add I don’t have any bad musty smells. It’s an 01 so it smells kinda oldish on start up but I don’t smell mildew or anything inside.

I have heard of people taping their AC vents shut except for one and using a leaf blowrr at that one and that blows air through the other direction. I tried it on one car and it did help.

So I found the issue, I think, but I’m unsure of how to fix it. I took the blower motor off and found this foam panel loose, flipping around and it’s gotta be blocking the air flow. I just don’t know exactly where it goes.

Attachments

• 11DD94CA-9B10-4A91-AA7B-80847134846C.jpeg
    11DD94CA-9B10-4A91-AA7B-80847134846C.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 33
You found it!! Looks pretty plugged up to me. That may be their attempt at an air box filter.
Maybe so. Lol. Any suggestions on how to get it back where it goes? I can’t seem to even find the part on any Toyota AC system diagrams.

Looks like you could stretch a sock over the hole. Probably just there for noise suppression and the keep a disentigrating blower wheel from damaging the coil.

That is either a blend door, a blend door blends the air temp between cold/hot (mixes from the heater core or the a/c evaporator). Or it's the door that allows fresh air in or recirculated. Either way, obviously it's NOT supposed to be in the way of the hvac blower fan!

https://parts.toyota.com/ is the official toyota parts site, should have the diagram for yours, look there.

ok I had to look.. found this parts diagram, sure looks like it's the blend door that allows fresh or recirculated air through.. on the diagram , on the right, see where the blower fan goes into the housing? Look above there, see the criss-cross grill? That's the foam covered door that opens to allow fresh air in, closes to allow recirculated air.. I'm betting that's what fell down into the opening for the blower fan.. the temp blend doors are over where the evaporator is, usually to the left of that entire blower housing..

I looked up a 2001 sequoia limited and SR5, same part. It's not cheap, about $800.. and to fix it you'd probably have to drop some of the dash to get it out.. I'm only guessing, some cars are easier than others to get to that. here's the parts diagram..

also a link to the part at McGeorge Toyota parts.. https://parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-blower-assembly-871300c020

1658758122948.jpeg

Back