2001 Impala rear turn signal bulb removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend's car has a burnt out turn signal bulb and we cannot get the thing fixed. We currently are forced to do the long distance thing for a while so I cannot help her. I tried briefly because it raining and was unable to get it. I have since left town so now she is trying to fix it and having the same problem I had.

There are little plastic wing nuts that need to be removed to get behind the carpet in the trunk and into the light assembly. Neither of us could get those wing nuts to budge and since they are plastic, I am concerned about breaking them.

Is there anyone on here that has experience in replacing the rear turn signal bulb on an Impala that could help us out?

Just use a pair of pliers to loosen them up and they will come off. They won't break.

I have to ask the obvious here. Are plastic wing nuts more important than the brake light being replaced?

The body of those plastic wing nuts are molded in a hex. You should be able to use a socket and ratchet to remove them.

My '03 Buick has the turn signals and other bulbs buried within the taillight assembly, which had to come off before I could get to the license plate bulbs. Six pop-out fasteners to loosen the trunk liner; nine bolts that hold the assembly in place; a little wiggling, and it came off and hung by a thick cable. Then pliers to gently loosen the bulb sockets.

It took a while, too, but I didn't need any tools beyond the pliers and socket wrench. You might want to replace all the bulbs while you're in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back