2000 Suzuki SV650, Schaeffers S9000 5w-50, 2000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put this oil in at 20,000 miles and changed it at 22,000. Previously the bike has used M1 15w-50 since new. Air filter is the original OEM the bike was delivered with, oil filter was a Pureone PL14610. The oil filter stud was also changed at the same time this oil filter was installed, so I wonder if the OEM thread sealant on it might have had silicone? hmm.

sv650sample1.jpg

That is some serious oil right there. I have wondered if this would be good for my race quads, thanks for posting.

Your numbers look good too.

How hard do you run your bike? The oil sheared to a 40 weight over the run.

heck, look at the moly of 307!

kind of shocked that they dont have a single sv650 on file.

welcome to being the univeral average club!
wink.gif

i am still wondering where they heck they keep getting silver 1???

yes flash and susvis are low but 2.3% is pretty darn high fuel.

over all, very very nice report!

what's the price per qt on that stuff?

Do you think it sheared to a 40wt or could the fuel have thinned it out?

I dont know where the fuel came from, it never idles. I start it up and ride away, it might idle for 10 seconds at most.

I ride it as hard as anything I have ever ridden. It's mostly commuting miles, but my commute up I95 HOV is typically me going 80-90 mph dodging hybrids. The city portion at the start and end of my commute is all stoplight racing and some fun hills. The SV650 doesnt have the power of my previous bikes, so I'm on it a lot more.

I'm not at all disappointed about it being in the 40wt range. The manufacturer specs a 10w-40 so its still doing fine.

It works out to about $23-25 per gallon. I bought the case of six gallons. I use the 5w-40 in every vehicle I own so buying enough oil to qualify for free shipping is not a problem. I pretty much run Schaeffers in everything I own at this point.

the fuel is a big factor in that lower susvis number. hard to say if it would have been at the bottom of 50wt or not. probably just under.

that's a decent price for the content of that oil.

try and run it 3k to 4k next round and see how it holds up.
a long run before the drain and sample for the uoa may help reduce the fuel %

ok, a long run might mean next sample is 10 months from now, lol.

I took it on an around town run before draining. I wish it had been right off the highway on the way home from work, but timing didn't work.

Either way, I'm happy with how it looks and how the 5w-50 held up. I'll go 4k and report back

Originally Posted By: Mik
look at the zinc and Ph numbers, some serious stuff !!!!

1st thing I noticed. I might have to track some down to give a try in my H-D motor...

Did you ever do an analysis on the M1 15W-50?

I had M1 15W-50 oil shear to a 30wt and show quite a lot of iron after 4000miles in my BMW K75C. I went to Valvoline VR1 20w-50 for a 'try something different' experience.

Last edited:
no UOA's ever before this one on any vehicle. This one broke my oil analysis virginity. I'm about 2300 miles into the next OCI of 5w-50 schaeffers, but some back problems have forced me to stop riding the SV as much and my Nighthawk 250 is getting all the miles now. the SV just bends me the wrong way, and until I get better it's mostly parked. I need to raise the handlebars up a few inches. it'll be a wait, but when I get it done, it will be 4-5,000 miles and probably about one year in the sump.

I wish I could find a rolling sportster chassis with no engine/trans and drop the sv650 motor into it. comfort and the power and sound I love..

I got to tell ya, all that extra Phosphorus and zinc for 2000 miles, didnt do much, the UOa looks like normal wear and the flash point is low. For an expensive oil, you need more miles, and your change interval looks about right to me, for the wear numbers and flash.

If this is an easy ridden bike, your paying too much for oil. If your a Hunter, your still paying too much.

Try the diesils, same wear at 1/3 the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back