2000 Silverado 4.8ltr V-8 4x4 with Mobil 1 Tri-syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Ok, Here is my UOA for the Truck.

Truck is driven 110 miles a week in One day. Drive about 1.5 miles to freeway (Got one light to have to deal with
mad.gif
) then 52 miles at 2000 rpm (75 mph speed limit then 70 mph) then 1-2 miles around town.

Truck is driven well (In Normal drive mode, Never sees more than 3000 rpm) and gets 20 mpg in the winter and 22-24 in summer. My record is 26.4 mpg going up to MT.
fruit.gif
(not bad for a 5000lb truck at 4700 ft Elev at the valley floor)

Oil was old Tri-syn 5w-30 for seven months and 3500 miles. So this UOA was durning Winter months. I just had to get it out.
shocked.gif
Changed to 10-30wt Pennzoil Dino (at .69-.99 cents a quart on sale) and AC-Delco Pf-59 filter.

I'm going to keep 10-30 durning the march to sept-oct and 5w-30 Pennzoil Dino for winter.

Here is the UOA. (Thanks Terry for the Excellent service!!!)
******************* Start *******************
Dyson Analysis

Oil Brand/Weight : Mobil5w-30
Type Equipment : Chevy Silverado
Miles/Hours on oil : 3500
Total Miles/Hours : 23500

Results ppm/% Comments (blank=normal)
Wear
Copper 27 Normal GM attribute and low to boot
Iron 9
Chromium 1
Lead 2
Aluminum 2
Silicon 0 Yes 0, none
Tin 2

Additives
Molybdenum 2
Sodium 7
Magnesium 1130 unusually high but I am seeing this in Mobil products at am increased level
Zinc 651
Potassium 16
Phosphorus 574
Calcium 763

Physical Properties
Water negative
Fuel negative scale negative,trace,positive
Antifreeze negative
smile.gif
(Very happy since my other car which is a ford had this postive)
Soot/solids 0
Oxidation 52 scale 0-199 26%
Nitration 134 scale 0-199 67 % elevated
Sulfur 0
TBN 9
Vis@100 C (cSt) 10.1 30w
TAN na

********** End of Report)

Ok, What do we think? Am I crazy to go to Dino like I have? Should I sell my Rare truck and get a Yugo?
confused.gif
(I'm 6ft 6" so that's a NO)

Thanks for everyones comments in advance. Any questions?

Bill

[ March 13, 2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

Curious: Good wear numbers for the type of driving you do and winter months. Obviously that helped raise the iron (IMHO). The Phos/Zinc are really low for that milage. The oil got chewed up in this area. Not sure why Terry said the Mag is high- All 3 reports I have done show magnesium even higher than those values. The TBN is great. WO-Ho zero Silicon.
fruit.gif

What engine is a 4.8 L V-8??? (5.8??)

quote:

What engine is a 4.8 L V-8??? (5.8??)

It's a 292 Cubic Inch V-8. 270 HP and 285 Lb torque. Cast Iron Block and Aluminum heads. No piston slap, knock or such. The roller tappets do make a little noise when going down the road, but you have to listen for it. The Pennzoil did make the engine seem quieter.

I do get some gear whine through the transfer case /transmisson but not bad at all.

My dad has the same truck (2002) with automatic and Select trac (push-button) transfer case and he is getting 18-19 mpg with it. Same engine.

When I ordered it, I decided for this motor as it was smoother than the 5.3 and I wanted a Manual. The 5.3 was not avail in a 5 speed.

It's got plenty of power (the 5 speed manual helps alot) and it gets out of it's way very easy. In 3rd gear going on the freeway, I start out at 25 and it gets to 75 very quickly for a shift to 4th.
burnout.gif

I do know that the truck will not go faster than 97 mph
smile.gif
(both Speedometer and GPS) The computer kills the fuel.

quote:

WO-Ho zero Silicon

YES! I go offroading alot, we get salt and sand here on the streets all the time (2nd driest state in USA) and it's the Orginal Air Filter
shocked.gif
3.5 years old and 23,500 miles. The truck did come with a high flow/cap filter from the factory.
fruit.gif

Thanks for the comments!

Bill

Al, comment on Mag is because I did not know it was tri syn until after the initial read. Mobil oils in the last 3 years have really been a mixed bag. Our data goes all over with no consistancy on their formulations. That includes other adds too.

patriot.gif

Very nice report! It's nice to see a winter report with relatively low iron!

It'll be interesting to see the comparison to dino oil in future reports now.

Bill ; I have a Toyota 4Runner with about 25k and I also have the transfer case gear whine problem. Mine seems to be noticeable more so when the temps. are cold , how about yours?

quote:

I have a Toyota 4Runner with about 25k and I also have the transfer case gear whine problem. Mine seems to be noticeable more so when the temps. are cold , how about yours?

Hi,
The noise is not too bad and seems to be the same cold or hot. It's been there since new. I have not changed the transfer case oil since new so I'm getting ready to do that. I'm not sure which oil I'll use??? It calls for ATF if I remember correctly.
dunno.gif

ALso I'll change out the transmission and front Diff. The rear was done at 15k with mobil 1 gear oil. I'll use the same in the front. Trying to find the oil for the transmission is hard!
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the reply!
Bill

Bill; I had an old Dodge Ramcharger a few years ago and it used ATF in the transfer case, when I changed it over to Redline MTL it got alot quieter.Unfortunatly my Toyota requires 75w90 in the T-case so the MTL is a no go , but I may try the MT-90 since it seems to be a little bit thinner than the regular 75w90.Anyway I have an extened warranty on this truck so if the transfer case lets loose Toyota will have to deal with it.Then again it will probably last until the warranty is up then KABOOM!
grin.gif

[ March 15, 2003, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: plexx ]

quote:

Bill; I had an old Dodge Ramcharger a few years ago and it used ATF in the transfer case, when I changed it over to Redline MTL it got alot quieter.Unfortunatly my Toyota requires 75w90 in the T-case so the MTL is a no go , but I may try the MT-90 since it seems to be a little bit thinner than the regular 75w90.Anyway I have an extened warranty on this truck so if the transfer case lets loose Toyota will have to deal with it.Then again it will probably last until the warranty is up then KABOOM!

Hi,

I have had not to use the warrenty for this truck and it just expired.. Hopefully things will keep going fine.

I'm going to use Mobil 1 ATF for the transfer case and Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid for the 5 speed and just change it every 2 years.

I've got Mobil 1 gear lube in the rear and front diffs, so I figure why not the transfer case?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the reply!

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back