2000 Saturn LS2 Odometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an opportunity to pick up a "little old lady" Saturn for cheap, it has been sitting semi-dormant for a couple of years. The title was trnsferred to a family member for estate purposes in 2009, mileage was 44,2xx. The odometer is digital, the mileage shows 698,478 miles and doesn't move. The trip odometer doesn't move either. The gentleman said - "it just broke from sitting." Really?

My question for someone with a lot more skill and knowledge than me is - can these things be reset to begin reading correctly again? I pulled both battery cables, pulled ECM, BCM fuses, instrument cluster fuse, read OBD 2 data, cleared codes even though there were none. I would be truly thankful for any assistance.

BCM went cuckoo.
link

Beware these cars' electrics are so bad you'd think the English were involved. I wouldn't pay over a grand.

Thanks for making me laugh this morning, I lived in England for a few years while I was in the Air Force. Automotive electronics are definetly NOT a specialty in the industry. I can't count the times I went out in the morning to start my car and go to work and...dead.

If I change this out what happens to the odometer, do the ECM and BCM get together again? Marriage, divorce, remarried, usually tragic!

I would get ahold of a dealer scan tool (techII) and probe the individual computer modules-- PCM, BCM, TCM, dash, and see what they report for mileage. Any GM dealer should be able to handle this, but you may run into ones that don't want to bother, or uninformed techs who've never done a saturn before.

You will probably need the dealer to flash a new BCM to the existing mileage. If you're lucky a "virgin" BCM will pick up the mileage from the other modules, but they usually put some anti-fraud programming in to thwart you.

Thanks for the fast responses on a Sunday, I was going to see if my daughter was interested in this Saturn. I thought a plastic car might be a good thing because any vehicle made of steel that she drives turns into a giant magnet and gets bent up beyond recognition.

She takes after her mom; her philosophy use to be "if I drive a bigger vehicle I'll be better protected" - to which I said "how about improving your driving skills?" That was many years ago...and yes, it did not end well for me!

Also believe these came with the ecotec 2200 4 cyl (good) and Opel 3.0 V6 (oddball).

The whole platform is a goofy compromise; was supposed to be a unibody steel setup then they stuck plastic on at the 11th hour.

Check out saturnfans.com for more on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back