2000 F150 trade in

Hi all,

I am in the market for a pickup truck. I am tired of hauling trash to the dump in my 2014 explorer.

The explorer is paid off and i don't want another car payment. I have found this 2000 F150 XLT locally. It has the 4.6L V8. I dont plan on towing anything more than a small trailer full of brush (if I buy one). I would probably take off the bed topper.

I am not afraid of high mileage vehicles but would like some advice/input. The vehicle has 151k on the odometer and was one owner.

Attachments

• 4AAF771B-E63C-4842-AAD2-1AACA8E3A0EC.jpeg
    4AAF771B-E63C-4842-AAD2-1AACA8E3A0EC.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 84
  • E7D78010-43C9-4CBC-88E0-C9F6155168BB.jpeg
    E7D78010-43C9-4CBC-88E0-C9F6155168BB.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 84
I owned two similar F150's - a '97 2WD Supercab Flareside, and a '99 4WD Supercab Flareside. Both were 4.6l, 4 Speed Auto trucks.

I'd take both trucks back in a heartbeat. They were ultra reliable. I did plugs and wires on both (neither were COP yet - an 00 may be..) I did the IAC on one, and an alternator on the other. That was it as far as the engine and transmission went.

Neither was a speed demon. However, they had adequate power, and when pushed hard with a heavier trailer, etc... they never complained and got the job done.

Bottom of the doors had cancer on mine. Went through some U-joints, axle seals and wheel bearings on both.

I sold the 97 to get the 99 (upgraded to 4x4) with 162,000 miles on the clock. Sold it to a kid who wrecked it with 200k on the clock.

I sold the '99 with 190,000+ on it. Last I saw it was still running in Iowa with north of 250,000+ miles reported on it.

Buy it. Old pickup have always had a cult following. Floor it before you buy it to determine if a check engine light comes on. If the light comes on and it misses don't buy it. You would probably have to replace a coil or two and worry about broken spark plugs on some of those old Ford 5.4's and 4.6's. They are very good engines if the oil has been changed regularly. Watch for timing chain noise too. If it sounds like a diesel run away now.

F150s are not bad trucks, high mileage is usually not the issue, the biggest issue with used cars or trucks are how well they are maintained over the years, my 08 Chevy HHR has 250,000 miles on it & it is a very reliable vehicle, when I first bought it I had to put some money into it to get the kinks worked out of it that past owners failed to fix, but I haven't had to do any major repairs as of yet.

Didn't see that the price was mentioned, but 14k is way too high (and yes, I know the market is skewed these days...).

Clean enough then 8k as an asking price would be reasonable...
I forgot to put the price in my original post. I agree the 14k is high. Still not as high as the 35k for a 2022 regular cab xl though.

If you've followed my posts about my friend's 94 Silverado, it's constantly plagues with small issues that I'm always fixing for her, and it barely has 100,000 miles. Everything begins to rot, break, rattle, leak, and it's beginning to have electrical issues.

I owned two similar F150's - a '97 2WD Supercab Flareside, and a '99 4WD Supercab Flareside. Both were 4.6l, 4 Speed Auto trucks.

I'd take both trucks back in a heartbeat. They were ultra reliable. I did plugs and wires on both (neither were COP yet - an 00 may be..) I did the IAC on one, and an alternator on the other. That was it as far as the engine and transmission went.

Neither was a speed demon. However, they had adequate power, and when pushed hard with a heavier trailer, etc... they never complained and got the job done.

Bottom of the doors had cancer on mine. Went through some U-joints, axle seals and wheel bearings on both.

I sold the 97 to get the 99 (upgraded to 4x4) with 162,000 miles on the clock. Sold it to a kid who wrecked it with 200k on the clock.

I sold the '99 with 190,000+ on it. Last I saw it was still running in Iowa with north of 250,000+ miles reported on it.
Great insight! Thanks!

Back