2000 Buick Century Coolant Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on the next service I'll be performing on my mother's 2000 Buick Century with the 3100 motor.

As is stands, I need to replace the water pump, and thermostat. Obviously I need to drain the coolant, but I have read many bad things about Dexcool and was curious if anyone has performed a complete flush to swap in some regular green Prestone.

Keep in mind, this time of year is cold, and my main concern if I do a proper flush, is that there will still be water in the motor, and eventually freeze.

better do the LIM "death gasket" too.
doing it preemptively will ensure the engine to outlast the body.
new style aluminum frame only.

I thought that and considered changing to something else. Researched online and IMO the blame belongs with faulty cooling system gaskets. The cooling system needs to be sealed or you get a buildup of crud because of oxygen. I did a coolant swap in the Escalade at 120k and the coolant was in excellent shape. Better than My Camry same miles with Toyota Red.

My coolant choice would be Peak Global Lifetime.

The Lisle coolant funnel works great
smile.gif

Swap it to the generic all makes/ all models. Compatible with dexcool, and claims compatible with green.

But you have to seek out "classic" green with silicates.

Beware the bleeder nipple(s).

Doing nothing is worse than changing to anything. What with it being winter, cop out and put AM/AM in.

Originally Posted By: JimmyJohns
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on the next service I'll be performing on my mother's 2000 Buick Century with the 3100 motor.

As is stands, I need to replace the water pump, and thermostat. Obviously I need to drain the coolant, but I have read many bad things about Dexcool and was curious if anyone has performed a complete flush to swap in some regular green Prestone.

I've done more than a few successful Dex to Green coolant flushes on the 3.1 engine. (BTW, does Prestone make conventional green coolant anymore?)

The trick is to disconnect one end of the coolant bypass hose, carefully open up the radiator drain petcock, then with a pistol grip nozzle garden hose, alternate back flushing between the bypass hose and the radiator fill until the water runs clear from both. I also flush with the engine running a while and the heat on to clear out the heater core.

Remember to open the bleeder valves when refilling, preferably with the front of the car raised or on an incline.

If you go with something else you better make sure you get ALL the Dexcool out or you will have bigger problems on your hands. Myself, I stick with the Dexcool, get the air out and replace every three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back