2000 4Runner Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just Googled this, it seems Toyota Red has Phosphates, but no silicates, borates, nitrites or amines. Pentosin makes an exact replacement, by the looks of things.

This coolant is OAT, in other words, Toyota's version of "Dex Cool." This means before filling with Red coolant meeting the desired formulation, you need to thoroughly flush the cooling system. Otherwise, if the present fill contains silicates, they will "drop out" of the coolant and form that sludge everyone knows about.

Yeah, I read that too... Flushing won't be a big deal, as long as I don't accidentally drop a junior mint into the radiator...

I also came across Evans Waterless... But, I don't think I'm gonna go for that... too risky

Oh and btw... my 92 4runner with the nice metal 3-core... the red started eating through it

Last edited:
In August I did a full flush on our 2010 Toyota Highlander and instead of going with the Red or Pink I chose to switch to Peak Global Life as it was easier to get and much cheaper as I purchased the Concentrate at NAPA for $14.

Toyota Red is an option, only a 2 year 30k mile recommended interval though but comes in a concentrate. Toyota Pink SLL another option, only comes as premix but with longer 5year 50k mile service interval. Aftermarket option would be Zerex Asian Formula, or Valvoline Asian Vehicle at Walmart, same thing. Less expensive than Toyota options.

Pep boys sells OEM brand Asian AF as concentrate, has longer service interval like SLL. Comes in four tints to match oem AF color, but all the same AF. Pep Boys at ebay currently has free shipping on the blue and green with the blue gal. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=OEM...p;_sacat=179489 If you don't mind the blue tint (Honda type2 color) excellent price for spec Asian PHOAT concentrate with Long Life interval shipped to your door.

Last option and previously mentioned, Peak Global Lifetime. What I'm running a Tacoma with same engine for a few years now. Concentrate available at some Napa stores.

All work best with complete flush of old, and new added. Concentrate AF with distilled water added to top up best for that.

I could use alkalized water
wink.gif

But thanks everyone for the info. I did all my homework on this. As long as it's a P-(H)OAT based coolant, it's within the recommended bracket

Originally Posted By: Jaexyr
But thanks everyone for the info. I did all my homework on this. As long as it's a P-(H)OAT based coolant, it's within the recommended bracket

Technically, that Amzoil POAT coolant would work too. Phosphate isn't necessary

FWIW, as a former Master Tech, I saw a lot of cooling systems, most of which were neglected. The biggest issue with any cooling system is maintenance neglect. Coolant will eventually be come acidic , and start to corrode the system starting with the most vulnerable materials.

Anyway, about 3 months after I bought my '97 4Runner new off the lot in '97, I installed an engine block heater. I flushed all of the original (Toyota Red)coolant out of the system, and installed Prestone Dexcool OAT coolant. Since that day I have continued to use Prestone OAT coolant. After the Dexcool, it was 'All Makes All Models' and now it is Prestone 'Concentrate'. All are OAT coolants with 2EHA.

When I have changed the coolant at the prescribed intervals, I like to inspect as much of the coolant passages as I can with a scope. I have yet to see any signs of corrosion in the cooling system. In fact everything always looks brand new. I change the thermostat whenever I do a coolant change, but the water pump is still original, as is the radiator.

I'm probably just gonna get one of the OEM PepBoys Blue, Zerex or Pentosin. Blue makes more sense, since it represents cold... HAHA

Quote:
This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Concentrate-Extended-Life-Radiator-Antifreeze-Coolant-Blue-86-174BOEM-/161475752396?hash=item2598b471cc:g:NL0AAOSwP~tW35qF&item=161475752396&vxp=

or

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Fl...AHPCZE2G8RXFDSB

Missed this post.

The Toyota blue would apparently be for the FR-S with the Subaru engine, thus the blue tint.

But yes, if you don't mind the blue tint in a Toyota the 'OEM Concentrate, Extended Life, Radiator Antifreeze Coolant, Blue 86-174BOEM' from PepBoys@ebay makes sense at $10.79 gal delivered to your door. Really inexpensive Asian concentrate AF, and makes a complete exchange of old AF to new, easy.

One other choice available at Walmart now is Valvoline Asian Vehicle, same as Zerex Asian Formula, now ~$8/gal with online order and store pick up. However it is a premix like SLL pink, but is a reddish tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back