200,000 miles on 2008 Suburban 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here it is. My Burb made it to 200,000 miles. Everything is original except for the front hubs which I had replaced pro-actively when they made a bit of noise. All original accessories. The 6.0 engine, 6L90 transmission and MP 3024 transfer case have not required anything but fluid changes. I have replaced interior items such as lock assemblies. I was the original owner and actually ordered this Burb from the check sheet. I bought it in Kalispell, Montana when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the US dollar. (pretty rare).

Going over my records, I had the local dealer do the first change at about 10,000 miles with AC Delco 5w30. After the first change I did the rest with 5w30 synthetic at an average OCI of 6,000 miles. I think, only one other time did I use the OLM which indicated about 10,000 miles.

The oil I used was Pennzoil Platinum (11 times), Mobil 1 (5 times), then Castrol, QS, Formula 1 (Canadian tire) and Valvoline at about 3 or 4 times each. I always used 5W30 synthetic oil that was on sale. After hanging around Bittog, I realized I could get rebates from Pennzoil and QS in Canada so I ended up using a lot of Pennzoil.

I didn't do some of the fancy things like warm the oil before the change, or fill the oil filter, or wait until it stopped dripping. I used Fram filters exclusively, moving up to the Fram Ultra on advice from Bitog.
I had transmission pan drops and flushes done by the dealer every 50,000 miles until the last two years where I pull three liters out and replace them through the fill tube each year. The front diff and transfer case I try do every two years myself since it so easy. The rear diff I was getting done every 50,000 miles at the dealership but just did my first one myself. The rear and front diff had 75W90 syn. For the transfer case, to be honest, the owners manual says to use Dexron VI, but the dealerships in Calgary swore up and down to use Auto Trak II even though that was supposed to end in 2007 when they switched to Magna Powertrain transfer cases. They said because its an Auto transfer case I needed to use Auto Trak II. I can say with accuracy I got 200,000 miles on it with Auto Trak II using 4 wheel drive many times over the winters.

I'm going to step up to 5,000 mile oil changes. The engine does not consume oil between the changes but gets blacker more quickly in the past. I also noticed it runs just shy of 40 psi at 60 mph. It used to run at 40 psi all the time. I might move up to 5W40 during the hot summers and also might go to 0W30 in the winter as I have one cold start each afternoon at the ambient temp, which can be as low as -30 C once in a while. Currently the morning start is done at 50 degrees inside my heated garage in the winter.

I like the truck enough to budget for a transmission rebuild if it goes. Also, I'm dreading the infamous oil pickup O ring issue. Also, a few of the exhaust manifold bolts need replacing. So far so good. Anyway, pretty much rust free and I've spray it by hand with Krowne rust preventer. Looking for 250,000 miles.
smile.gif

2008 Suburban.jpg

Last edited:
It's always an event when reaching 200K on any of my former vehicles.
Congrats Snaggle! Like myself, you seemed to stick with name-brand oils (not house brands).
Good luck to 250K and get that trans fluid changed again.

Nice! Keep up on the maintenance if the transmission and or engine failure while you own your Burb there is nothing more you could have done vehicles simply fail. Some do not even get the recommended maintenance and run like a juggernaut and others you can be maintenance like a fighter jet and fail in a few years. All you can do is maintain your auto like you have and don't worry.

Cool story, sweet truck. Let's seem some actual pics!

When I were a lad, my fam had a 95 2500 4X4 burb which permanently endeared me to them. Too bad they are discontinuing production of the 2500, I will miss them.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I also noticed it runs just shy of 40 psi at 60 mph. It used to run at 40 psi all the time.

My 200K+ 6.0 shows 30 psi at 60, so nothing to worry about.

Congrats on the milestone. I've not been able to get to 200k yet. Closest was about 185K on a Miata (wrecked) and a Grand Caravan (Rust & engine failure). Hoping all the cars in my current fleet can get there. I think I'm Going to have to start some sort of rust control regimen in order to make it.

Love high mileage stories!
takes effort and dedication.

Once took my Honda Accord to 289,000 miles. Took my Lexus LS460 to 178,000 miles.

My 2006 tahoe is pushing 196k.
Almost there.
Ran many different synthetics since first oil change at 3k.
Should be there by April of 2020

Nicely done!
smile.gif

My 2006 K1500 Crewcab PU has about 190,000 miles on her... mostly Alaskan miles. She has been not been garaged, yet has started faithfully outside every morning in Palmer, Alaska -- 50 miles north of Anchorage.

Same here! 5W-30 synthetics every time. Along with Fram Ultra filters, I've been using QSUD recently, Valvoline and Mobil-1 prior to that. Use Mobil-1 75W-90 LS gear oil in the front and rear diffs and Auto-Trak II in the transfer case.

The 5.3L Gen III engine has always used about 3/4 of a quart at 3K miles. I do use makeup oil till about a 4K to 5K mile oci.

The transmission has had fluid and filters replaced twice now at the dealership with AC-Delco Dexron VI. Same with the radiator fluid. They seem to last, though I've been stepping up the radiator fluid changes to every few years.

They run great, eh?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Congrats Snaggle! Like myself, you seemed to stick with name-brand oils (not house brands).

Name brand oil has nothing to do with it. What matters is he takes care of it. He would have achieved it with house brand oil along with his dilligence.

Originally Posted by Lubener

Name brand oil has nothing to do with it. What matters is he takes care of it. He would have achieved it with house brand oil along with his dilligence.

That guy likes to post foolish garbage and can not provide any basis for the validity of said garbage. It is really a comedy of errors.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Cool story, sweet truck. Let's seem some actual pics!

When I were a lad, my fam had a 95 2500 4X4 burb which permanently endeared me to them. Too bad they are discontinuing production of the 2500, I will miss them.

Thanks for the interest and kind comments everyone. Here is a dusty photo of the Burb, with my buddy Dave taking Recon photos for the CIA.

laugh.gif

FAA1819C-1756-46A7-A74A-A6589480BD98.jpeg

Keep in mind Suburban 2500 is a different animal than the 1500. The heavier duty Chevy trucks much more reliable.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Lubener

That guy likes to post foolish garbage and can not provide any basis for the validity of said garbage. It is really a comedy of errors.

Never see any validity to your comments, just worthless opinions.

You must be one who is unable to read specs, tear down engines, never supervised fleet maintenance, inspect maintenance logs, validated work orders, and grew up around dealership and race tracks. But then again few people have. I know I have had a blessed life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back