$20 oil consumption fix success story

I’ve discussed my oil guzzling 2009 Scion xB in a couple of threads here before and I just wanted to post an update.

Long story short I did two piston soaks about a year apart to my 2009 xB using Berryman’s B12 fuel system cleaner. I poured 1/4 bottle into each cylinder and loosely replaced the plugs to slow evaporation. After 24 hours I removed the plugs and cranked it over a few times, then repeated with a new bottle of Berryman’s.

When I bought the car in October 21 it went from full to the very bottom of the dipstick in 288 miles. The first piston soak improved that to a quart every 800-1000 miles. Now after the second soak I’m at 2100 miles and the oil level hasn’t dropped at all. I was hoping to see some improvement after the second soak but I wouldn’t have dreamed it would essentially eliminate the problem altogether.

Best $20 automotive repair ever!

Just goes to show that stuck rings, not wear, low tension rings nor improper break in, are the usual source of high consumption in engines not run out to extreme mileages.
I've always said this and am glad to see that your efforts worked so well.

Well wouldn't a low tension ring decide to accept sludge immobilizing it more easily than a "regular tension" ring?

Well wouldn't a low tension ring decide to accept sludge immobilizing it more easily than a "regular tension" ring?
If you need a ring compressor to get the pistons in the bores, and you do, then the ring tension isn't all that low anyway.

Good to hear the process worked
I respectfully demand pictures of the 📦 😏

How many miles on yours?
Mines standing @ 292k

An idle flush or two, maybe some HPL oil should finish the job 👍

Supposedly this particular engine suffered a double whammy of low tension oil control rings plus oil drain back holes that are too small and clog up easily.
Similar to the BMW M54B30 3 liter engines.

I've done this with success on 2 used vehicles we purchased with oil consumption. I used Motor Medic by Gunk.

07 GM 6.2L L92, changed the driverside valve cover with built-in pvc to the GM TSB prescribed new improved valve cover # 12570427 and a catch can,
and
02 GM 5.7L LS1 added a catch can.

Just goes to show that stuck rings, not wear, low tension rings nor improper break in, are the usual source of high consumption in engines not run out to extreme mileages.
I've always said this and am glad to see that your efforts worked so well.
I’m quite sure the oil choice is a factor. Even so, There are a sufficient number of Honda examples that were neither worn, nor stuck. Mostly the V6. Many of us believe the very small amount of wear was enough to foster oil consumption.

Back