20 Days in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We left on the second for Italy-2 days travel time each direction, and arrived home yesterday.

We spent a couple days in Rome, and quite frankly I could have done without the city. While it was interesting to see some of the sights again, Rome has become just another bustling metropolis, and the sights are little more than tourist traps. The amount of graffiti surprised me-I don’t remember that problem when we were there about 30 years ago.

On the third day we picked up our rental car (a Peugeot 508) and headed south to the town of Soveria Mannelli. Soveria Mannelli is where my grandparents immigrated from, and we last visited in the early 1980's. Once we got out of Rome it was a pleasant 7 hour drive.

Soveria is like stepping back in time. Virtually nothing has changed since we were last there in the early 1980's, and very little has changed since my grandparents left in 1897. There are only about 3000 people in the town, and there are perhaps a dozen surnames-everyone either is related to or claims to be related to everyone else. Surprisingly, almost all of the family that we met in 1982 was still around, albeit older-most are now in their 80’s and early 90’s, but still active and working.

There's a small 6 room hotel in town and we slept there on all but a few nights, however every meal was taken with relatives. Some meals were at homes, some were in the common meeting hall-the town’s sala riunioni. It's rare for them to get visitors, especially from America, so when they do the entire town welcomes them. Meals in Italy are almost a religious experience, and it seemed like everyone wanted to have at least a couple meals with us. It was a great chance to brush the dust off my Italian language skills.

We spent two days and one night at the farm where my grandfather was born and raised. It's been in the family for as long as anyone can remember, and Ludovico and his family still work the same land that my grandfather did in the 1800's, and his father did before that, and so on. It was interesting to sleep in the same room in which my grandfather and his brothers slept. They grow and raise most of what they eat, and they still make their own wine the same way my grandfather would have when he was a boy. Many of the farming tools are the same tools that he used, and the old wine press is the same one he used as a kid. They still use it, and I marveled at the quality of wine they produced with ancient equipment, especially compared to our technology and stainless steel equipment in the winery at home.

The food was great, real Italian food is nothing like the American renditions. Soveria is in southern Italy and they use a lot of tomatoes and dark green olive oil. Caciocavallo, peconrino and mozzarella cheeses are the most common cheese. There are lots of vegetables, legumes, grains, lamb and fish; everything is grown, raised or caught locally. They also use a lot of ravioli, tortellini and prosciutto.

One aunt made the most incredible deserts-tiramisu and wandas. The wandas were so light they almost floated off the plate. I’m not sure what her secret is, but she could make a killing with a pastry shop in the US. I think I gained a couple pounds just on her pastries alone.

After 10 days we left Soveria and went to Brindisi for a few days, which is on the Adriatic Sea. While it’s a tourist area, it’s much cleaner than Rome and holds almost as much history. We spent most of our time there exploring the old sections of the city.

We spent 2 days meandering back to Rome and turned in our Peugot on Monday. We boarded the plane to come home, and arrived home late yesterday. It was bittersweet, knowing that at our age we would never see any of the Soveria relatives again. While it was a fantastic time, we’re certainly glad to be home. I did discover that jet lag takes on a whole different dimension when you're 69 as opposed to a thirty or forty something.

I've got a few but I'm too lazy to get them off the camera. Maybe over the weekend I'll put up a couple.

My eldest son was married in an inn in Bal Briggan, a small. town 20 miles south of Dublin. My MIL has a small place there. We toured the Museum of Antiquities in Dublin and I went to Newgrange. a 5000 celestial observatory/burial chamber/ bastion. Marina's folk were Irish.

I know what you mean, those towns in Italy hardly change. Especially in the south, where my family is from too. You would have driven through our region of Basilicata to get to Calabria from Rome driving through the mountains and tunnels, what a view! Why didn't you just fly into Lamezia? Brindisi is gorgeous also. Was supposed to go this year but it fell through. Maybe next year. A good friend of mine is from Altilia which is not far from Soveria. Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
That's great. Please share a few pictures. We really enjoyed Italy when we were there last spring. We visited family that own a villa in the south of France (they aren't French), and between there and our trip back to Germany through Italy, we ate some of the most wonderful food we ever have.

The graffiti in Germany was surprising to me too. I've not been to Rome, and while I'd like to see some of the classical sights, what I've heard of it echoes your comments.

Glad you had a good time.
How was the 508?
(I will be using one for about 3 weeks in August)

My spelling is terrable and Spell Check won't pick these words so, forgive my poor spelling!

Prior to our meeting, my wife went with her dad to Giate[sp](outside of Naples) to visit their family. Everything you mentioned is the way she tells her story. She has always wanted to take me to Italy and meet some of her relatives(Maxamiliano & Staffania'). One day, I'll travel to where our family is from.

My father came over from Sicily to the U.S in 1918. I don't think any relatives are with us anymore. Both my wife and myself families are from Italy and our traditions are still very similar to the old customes. We love family, food and wine!

My dad loved my mother's sauce with meatballs and sausage, pork blade bragale[sp] stuffed with hard boiled eggs and tied with string. The sause is cooked slowly throughout the day(Saturday) and eaten on Sunday afternoon. So many foods were made right at home from scratch, especially baked goods!

I prefer olive oil and garlic with my pasta and seafood(clams, muscles, crab etc.). I love my wife's sause too but, can give me Otche'

Up until about 20 years ago, my FIL pressed his own grapes to make his own wine, grew his own garden and raised chickens for their eggs. He still gets up early in the morning, putters around the yard/garage at his work bench, fishes, gets crab and eats from the sea often in Florida on the Gulf. It reminds him of the Mediterainian.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
My dad loved my mother's sauce with meatballs and sausage, pork blade bragale[sp] stuffed with hard boiled eggs and tied with string. The sause is cooked slowly throughout the day(Saturday) and eaten on Sunday afternoon. So many foods were made right at home from scratch, especially baked goods!

Mmm, through my teens there was nothing like waking up Sunday morning to the aroma of that ragu' that cooks for hours and the meat was sooo tender, yum! My mom used toothpicks for the braciole instead of string to keep the garlic and parsley from falling out of them. I love food way too much.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Mmm, through my teens there was nothing like waking up Sunday morning to the aroma of that ragu' that cooks for hours and the meat was sooo tender, yum! My mom used toothpicks for the braciole instead of string to keep the garlic and parsley from falling out of them. I love food way too much.

It's one of my downfalls. Mmmm!

Just reliving our three week vacation in Italy.

A year ago, oilBabe and I spent three weeks in Italy from 7/18 until 8/5.

It was a fabulous trip and we look forward to our next adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back