20,000 miles in a CX-5 GT-R

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm not a huge leather seat fan, myself, but am more ambivalent than yourself, preferring it in some vehicles vs. others.

I detest leather seats and would willingly pay a premium to get cloth. It's not a 100% deal-killer like a sunroof, but it's close.

When my kids throw up on seats, I always get reminder that leather is best thing after sliced bread.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm not a huge leather seat fan, myself, but am more ambivalent than yourself, preferring it in some vehicles vs. others.
I detest leather seats and would willingly pay a premium to get cloth. It's not a 100% deal-killer like a sunroof, but it's close.
When my kids throw up on seats, I always get reminder that leather is best thing after sliced bread.

Definitely. When I worked for an airline, cloth seats were the bane of any maintenance organization.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Thankfully, I do not make a regular habit of puking in my vehicles. If I did, I would have vinyl seats.

Leather is hot in summer, cold in winter, slippery all year, and often smells funny.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
How do you have 20k miles on a 2019 already???

My newest vehicle is only 10 months old and has 26k miles on her...

crazy2.gif

He could have bought it in the early fall of 2018, thus having a full year on it. 26k is certainly understandable.

The CX-5 GT Reserve is a better vehicle then the Infiniti QX30 and it's base M.B. development deal counterpart engine wise and in chassis composure and steering feel. Personally I'd like to see the engine in your CX-5 GT Reserve put in that new Mazda3 AWD hatch, along with a 6 speed manual, 18" forged rims with non profile Michi PS4's an LSD, upgraded brakes all while keeping the upscale interior but sans any driver assistance aids or modern safety packages up to and including seatbelt warnings. Yeah I'm not picky or anything about my cars, nah.

Originally Posted by GZRider
The CX-5 GT Reserve is a better vehicle then the Infiniti QX30 and it's base M.B. development deal counterpart engine wise and in chassis composure and steering feel. Personally I'd like to see the engine in your CX-5 GT Reserve put in that new Mazda3 AWD hatch, along with a 6 speed manual, 18" forged rims with non profile Michi PS4's an LSD, upgraded brakes all while keeping the upscale interior.

Wouldn't we all!

Yes, the CX5 GT-R does outperform the vehicles you mention, in my opinion, as well, but The Old Guard has it stuck in their heads that MB is a pinnacle of some sort. Basically, you get a GLC300 for $15K off stocker, and with better performance, is how I look at the CX5 GT-R/SG.

Last edited:
The AMG, Audi S and R, BMW M stuff is impressive both on a (closed) road and a track, but you really have to buy them new or CPO with a warrenty or be like that Tavarish dude with "I am the warrenty" to enjoy one. You are right the base models of Audi, M.B and BMW have a fine tradition of being less reliable and powerful then their up and coming Japanese and Korean rivals, one that automotive journalists hate to own up to.

The AMG, Audi S and R, BMW M stuff is impressive both on a (closed) road and a track, but you really have to buy them new or CPO with a warrenty or be like that Tavarish dude with "I am the warrenty" to enjoy one. You are right the base models of Audi, M.B and BMW have a fine tradition of being less reliable and powerful then their up and coming Japanese and Korean rivals, one that automotive journalists hate to own up to.

Yes, the AMG/M stuff is faster, but I don't find it any "nicer" until you go up into the larger SUV's, then they have some pretty awesome features and better isolation from road noise, etc. I gave up speed for mpg and avoiding the shop. The SQ5 is legit nice, though, but same story.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
How do you have 20k miles on a 2019 already???

My newest vehicle is only 10 months old and has 26k miles on her...

One of the HD work vans in the fleet or a personal vehicle?

It's a work van of course. We cover 3 counties minimum here to get where the money is. In 4 years or so depending on the individual van and how good it runs we will sell it.

Originally Posted by Ws6
The CX-5 GT Reserve is a better vehicle then the Infiniti QX30 and it's base M.B. development deal counterpart engine wise and in chassis composure and steering feel. Personally I'd like to see the engine in your CX-5 GT Reserve put in that new Mazda3 AWD hatch, along with a 6 speed manual, 18" forged rims with non profile Michi PS4's an LSD, upgraded brakes all while keeping the upscale interior.

Wouldn't we all!

Yes, the CX5 GT-R does outperform the vehicles you mention, in my opinion, as well, but The Old Guard has it stuck in their heads that MB is a pinnacle of some sort. Basically, you get a GLC300 for $15K off stocker, and with better performance, is how I look at the CX5 GT-R/SG.

You are not buying 0-60 time. GLC300 is better vehicle in every aspect, period. But than again, every teenager thinks his 0-60 Civic is "better" than Mercedes. So, you are right there in that group.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Yes, the AMG/M stuff is faster, but I don't find it any "nicer" until you go up into the larger SUV's, then they have some pretty awesome features and better isolation from road noise, etc. I gave up speed for mpg and avoiding the shop. The SQ5 is legit nice, though, but same story.

Mazda CX-5 GT-R, pinnacle of luxury vehicle!
When you compare it to RAV4 and CR-V.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Wouldn't we all!

You are not buying 0-60 time. GLC300 is better vehicle in every aspect, period. But than again, every teenager thinks his 0-60 Civic is "better" than Mercedes. So, you are right there in that group.

Somehow I missed what made the GLC300 better when I looked at 'em. Do tell!

I mean, if it were better for what I wanted, I woulda bought one. It's not. I didn't.

We get it, you think because it has a longitudinal engine and an MB emblem, it MUST be better somehow. Cool story bro. You chose to buy a Tiguan. This proves that you have completely different criteria from myself, when it comes to a CUV.

This is a good comparo, with a critical group reviewing the 2017 CX5, which of course didn't have the turbo (which I am happy to report has zero lag and is extremely linear.) or the cooled seats mine has, etc. (not available on X1, I think the GLC offers them though as an upgrade).

I set my budget at $45K for this vehicle, and considered CPO. The CX5 GT-R simply won out. Sorry you don't agree with how I spend my money, but you drive a Tiguan, so I guess we can call it equal disagreement, lol!

That video was a good one. Some may not know that Mazda made a lot of changes and improvements for 2017. A slightly wider stance for example. A much stiffer chassis. The interior really got made over.

That video plus the Dave Coleman videos and Autogefuhl were a convincing part of my decision to buy one.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Wouldn't we all!

Somehow I missed what made the GLC300 better when I looked at 'em. Do tell!

I mean, if it were better for what I wanted, I woulda bought one. It's not. I didn't.

We get it, you think because it has a longitudinal engine and an MB emblem, it MUST be better somehow. Cool story bro. You chose to buy a Tiguan. This proves that you have completely different criteria from myself, when it comes to a CUV.

This is a good comparo, with a critical group reviewing the 2017 CX5, which of course didn't have the turbo (which I am happy to report has zero lag and is extremely linear.) or the cooled seats mine has, etc. (not available on X1, I think the GLC offers them though as an upgrade).

I set my budget at $45K for this vehicle, and considered CPO. The CX5 GT-R simply won out. Sorry you don't agree with how I spend my money, but you drive a Tiguan, so I guess we can call it equal disagreement, lol!

No I do not have different criteria. First of all, my criteria is that I would buy CPO BMW X5 for 45K not friggin Mazda.
Of course your money, you can spend it however you want. As I said, in that class, RAV4, CR-V, it is better vehicle for sure.

No I do not have different criteria. First of all, my criteria is that I would buy CPO BMW X5 for 45K not friggin Mazda.
Of course your money, you can spend it however you want. As I said, in that class, RAV4, CR-V, it is better vehicle for sure.

Yeah, and I have zero desire to own an X5, or, like you note...they're available within my budget. Performance is identical to my CX5 for turning, stopping, accelerating. MPG is worse. Reliability is far worse. It is roughly 1dB quieter inside at 70mph, so that is appealing, but not a massive margin, still there, though. The only creature comfort it has that I think would be cool are the massage seats, presuming it has those in some trim levels? I didn't see them, but I think they might be available? I just see zero appeal to the X5 unless I needed a larger vehicle with a 3rd row, and then, I'd buy a Lexus 570 or similar, because by the time you go 3rd row, it's not about corners and the like in the slightest (As this scathing review below of the X5's handling proves). (This is comparing to the 35i X-drive, not the M, which you won't be finding for $45K cert. pre-owned in recent production, nor would I want to pay out the nose to keep the beast on the road once purchased.).

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/bmwx5xdrive35i2018-1526332221.pdf
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/mazdacx-5awdsignatureltinitial2019-1556132462.pdf

Nothing about the X5 except size/capacity seems better "by the numbers" or "by driving impression". It does have a 3rd row option, if size of cargo is of import. Otherwise? Nothing for me. NAV screen is much larger, if that's a selling point? But it lacks HUD, which matters more to me.

Although we don't expect any three-row luxury SUV to be a corner scorcher, we do expect BMWs to be among the best to drive in any given class. The X5 is far from that. It exhibits sloppy body control and lifeless steering, as well as unrefined ride quality over rough surfaces (the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Run Flat tires might be to blame for some of the impact harshness, but non-run-flat tires aren't available).

Why would I want that in my life?
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a20159288/2018-bmw-x5-xdrive35i-instrumented-test/

It's glaringly obvious. You only care about image and brand. Some of us care about product not label. Like I said, your priorities are not mine.

I would not own a Mercedes even if I had tons of money. Those glory days are over.

These cars are not made of some exotic metal like unobtainium. They are transportation. Period.

Reactions: pbm
Actually Toyota Sienna must be pinnacle, if its worth trading an X5 for!

Of course, we now have Mazda 6 (2.5 turbo) instead of GTI due to wreck, and the Mazda is impressive for the price. The fit and finish of the Mazda interior is excellent, as is the ride. It doesn't handle as well as the GTI, but that is to be expected. The non-turbo 2.5 was quite weak, but the 2.5 turbo is suitable.

Audi A4 Quattro (new) was the most unimpressive car we tested, especially for price. Interior was nice enough, but it just didn't scream $50k car at all.

CPO 430i Gran Coupe was 2nd favorite, but the Mazda interior and seats were better. Mazda also has a spare tire, which is a big plus. Yes, spare can be added to 430i trunk, but then there is little room left. I had to add spare tire to my E90 sedan, and it takes up a fair amount of trunk space.

German overhyped engineering. Only if they had the reliability of Toyota would I consider them. My brother's X5 has been so so reliability wise.

The other upside of the CX5 or a CPO RX350 over the GLC300 or X3/X5 would come in if you venture far from the dealer network and do have a problem or breakdown, towing is only 50 miles. It's pretty easy to find a competent independent shop to work on Mazda and Lexus products in small town America, but the same does not hold true for M.B., Audi and BMW.

Back