2 year old oil looks clean in diesel

I maintain some equipment at our local rodeo grounds including a 1980s or 90s era water truck with an international diesel. It gets used only when events are coming up which is to say not very often...it might sit for 4 months then be used every day for a week then sit several more months before repeating. The oil might have 50 hours run time on it. The oil has not been changed in at least 2 years and looks like fresh oil out of the bottle. I have serviced many diesels over the years and never have seen this before, there is no hint of soot, the oil is clean...how is this possible?

Are you sure that the oil installed is Diesel rated? Either it's not doing the job or all the soot is settling to the bottom of the pan while not being run.
There should be SOME soot being generated when the engine runs. It is the oils job to remove that from the rings (etc.) and hold it in suspension until the next oil change. With long periods of inactivity, it might just be settling out.

All diesels make the oil black. My f250 does not have an egr and its oil is black by the time it hits the oil pan
yup, i think the oil turn black so quickly in diesel meaning the oil works as it is to absord all the soot and also due to the high compression engine

that's why for ensuring the diesel engine oil working whether it is good or not, you need to check it to lab

I would like to see pics of the dipstick and the wipe cloth.. I have had about 25 80s and 90s dump trucks and tractors but they were not fresh at all. most if not all the oil was black within seconds of a fresh change.

Do you or someone else do the oil changes? I have seen some old timers that would only run sae 40.. perhaps someone used 40wt non detergent?

curious.

I have a few older diesel Kubota diesels as well as a newer one. They all take quite a while to turn the oil black.

Some dirty the oil fast. Some don’t.

All diesels make the oil black. My f250 does not have an egr and its oil is black by the time it hits the oil pan

took 10k miles on my new diesel, with EGR... Once the oil is black that's it, the new oil turns black from mixing with the pint of oold oil left in the engine.

Clear oil on the dipstick? I bet it's nice and black down in the bottom of the pan and that's perfectly normal.

My 2003 Jetta TDI would turn a fresh oil change black by the next day and yes it did have EGR. My '02 Dodge Ram w/5.9 Cummins on the other hand never actually turns black. After several thousand miles the oil gets a dark honey color but no where near black. Neither vehicle burned much oil so I'm really suspicious of the EGR on the Jetta. That year Cummins had no emission control of any kind from intake to tailpipe. Sold the Jetta at 200k and still running the Dodge at 190k (shooting for a million!).

I have a 2012 Cummins with adjusted EGR .
If I take my time and get all the old oil out it will stay clean for a while but after 2 months in a dark brown after 6 months it’s black again

agree. Some just do so faster than others.

My Mercedes diesels make the oil sooty black faster than my Cummins.

Fallout is a consideration here, and should be investigated... soot does not fall out of the oil in my diesels, which can sit for months at a time, but they also run HDEOs. My suspicion is that fallout is not an issue, but again worth investigation...

Even light tan / clean oil on the dipstick magically turns pitch black if you drain the sump and look at it in something like a mason jar.

Back