2-stroke oil recommendations?

I don't see an actual subforum for 2 stroke topics so if this is the wrong place for this topic I apologize in advance.

I am currently building one of those Chinese 80cc bicycle engine kits to be able to ride to work and around town for short trips.

For the time being, I am currently using some old TCW3 I already have on hand but I know TCW3 isn't ideal for non marine applications so I'm looking for recommendations for a good 2 stroke oil that will be good in high temperatures (this engine gets over 300 degrees while running) and help prolong the life of my bike.

Also -- if anyone else has one of these engine kits on your bike, what oil/fuel ratio are you using? The manual it came with says to use 16:1 which honestly sounds insane but I've heard of people running 50:1 in them with no problems as well.

80cc I'd be at a 32:1 FD rated oil with E0 fuel for a starting Pont. Vpracing woul be my go to easy ro find WM or Motul you can find it Amazon usually has it

Whatever is available at walmart, lowesdepotacetruevalue.... for chainsaws, weedwackers....

At 16:1, don't see why a tcw3 would be a problem. BTW, 16:1 isn't as uncommon as it sounds. Maybe attempt 20:1 or 25:1 and not blindly jump to 50:1. Don't know how rough these engines are machined or how tight everything is when overheated. I'd rather have a little more smoke than no compression.

Local small engine/tractor shop has the Stihl range of products. The Stihl oil works fine for me.

When I entered the (somewhat) professional chain saw user career in the late 1970's, our U.S. made Homelite pro saws used 16:1 mix. If memory serves, I think the Jonsereds of that vintage were using 32:1. It took a leap of faith for me to accept the 50:1 common today.

It's tough to know if your Chinese engine recommends 16:1 because of it's build quality or if high quality 2 cycle oils are not generally available over in China. I want to guess that the movement to higher ratio gas/oil mix is due to 2 things: improved build quality of the equipment AND improved quality of the oils. Maybe someone can educate me on my hypothesis. In other words, I cannot offer any recommendations.

The 80cc kits I looked at called for a 16:1 mix during break-in and 20:1 after that using a "high quality 2 cycle motorcycle oil." Personally, I would buy whichever FD oil was on sale in gallon jugs

The 80cc kits I looked at called for a 16:1 mix during break-in and 20:1 after that using a "high quality 2 cycle motorcycle oil." Personally, I would buy whichever FD oil was on sale in gallon jugs

If we are talking high quality 2 cycle motorcycle oil, then I would look at Maxima K2

Those engines are low quality. The piston rings are straight cast iron, no chrome face, the crank bearings are unusually small and the overall metallurgy is bottom of the barrel. I'd not experiment with using significantly less oil than 32 to 1. Our testing of "quality engines" showed that 32 to 1 provided adequate lubrication for all but the most highly stressed engines. Lower quality components may in fact require more oil, in much the same way as ultra high output, high RPM 2 strokes do.

Pretty much any oil with an FC, FD or EG-D rating will suffice.

Of note, while TCW-3 is generally not considered ideal for air cooled and race engines, it has been used successfully in both when used in sufficient quantities.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's good stuff, but I don't see the sense of $20 a quart 2 cycle oil with the kind of $150 engine kit the OP is talking about. If we were talking about a KTM then for sure.
looking for recommendations for a good 2 stroke oil that will be good in high temperatures (this engine gets over 300 degrees while running) and help prolong the life of my bike. That is what the OP wrote.

Lucas Oil does make a 2 stroke oil that has a FD rating for $9.99 a quart, its just from everything I have read that the Maxima K2 is a fantastic oil, and since this engine is low quality then a great 2 stroke oil is a benefit. There is also Echo Red Armor 2 stroke oil but that is more expensive than the K2. Amsoil Saber Pro would be another good oil but it seems like the K2 has better specs and tear downs of motorcycle engines have been shown to be clean and fairly carbon free.

I’d consider using Stihl or Echo oil in a gallon jug. At 16:1 I’d skip the synthetic and use conventional. You have $150 into the motor so don’t spend too much on top notch synthetic oil IMO.

FWIW I use the Stihl synthetic in my Stihl chainsaw @ 45:1 with great results.

Just my $0.02

Lucas semi synthetic with the blue label or Amsoil Interceptor/Saber at 32:1. Realistically if you have a failure it’s not going to be due to the quality of the oil used it‘ll be cause of an air leak or just poor materials failing so you could probably use any cheap oil as long as long as you don’t go too lean.

I use Stihl orange bottle in my Stihl chainsaw & string trimmer, Amsoil interceptor in my snowmobile, and used to use Klotz in my motocross bike. Plenty of good to great options out there.

Supertech. The oil won't be an issue. Its the cheap Chinese engine. I would be somewhat easy on the engine at first and let it break in. The weakest link is just the cheap engine. 40:1 and let her buck!!!

Back