2 stroke engine oil and needed ignition timing

This is the first time in history, to my knowledge, that this kind of test has been done. Since oils are a type of petroleum just as gasoline is a type of petroleum then the kind of oil should have an effect on the rate of combustion.
It's an involved topic and if you want to read about it then go to dragonfly75.com/moto/oilpower.html

I have read this before, meaning his comments on 2 stroke oil, where did you get the Ignition timing thing from? You do realize there is also synthetic 2 stroke oil.

I have read this before, meaning his comments on 2 stroke oil, where did you get the Ignition timing thing from? You do realize there is also synthetic 2 stroke oil.
You obviously did not read the pages of the link I gave or you would know that I tested 4 major types of oil, including 100% synthetic. I made an adjustable analog CDI based on the design of the KDX CDI.

That is quite an indepth project and lots of information . My first MC was a 1967 Yamaha 125 twin, then a 1971 Kawasaki. Mach III then a 1975 Yamaha RD 350 and I never thoought about the oil and power output. I always wondered why Two stroke motorcycles did not have timing advance . I am a the more oil the better type of person .

I'm not sure if I have identified the 4 oil types with the graphs of maximum Top of the hill revs so tell me if I have interpreted this right.

In simple terms:

The use of oil 1 (mineral oil) requires more ignition advance for maximum power therefore it must slow the combustion burn rate.

The use of oil 3 (synthetic oil) requires less ignition advance for maximum power therefore it must increase the combustion burn rate.

It seems at odds with the folded paper napkin tests and the fact that synthetic burns slower.

Synthetic usually is derived from petroleum and will burn, although it is the most resistant to heat along with castor oil.

I'm not sure if I have identified the 4 oil types with the graphs of maximum Top of the hill revs so tell me if I have interpreted this right.

In simple terms:

The use of oil 1 (mineral oil) requires more ignition advance for maximum power therefore it must slow the combustion burn rate.

The use of oil 3 (synthetic oil) requires less ignition advance for maximum power therefore it must increase the combustion burn rate.

It seems at odds with the folded paper napkin tests and the fact that synthetic burns slower.
the napkin flame tests were skewed by the amounts of solvent added to the products. The fast burn oils are ones containing group 1 mineral oil, and the oils fully or partially castor oil. The slow burn oils are the fully synthetic oils and the fully group 2 oils. Under full load the fast burn oils need some ignition retard. The oil type doesn't change the timing requirement for low load high RPM.

So if my bike doesn't have a CDI that adjust timing according to throttle position and RPM then I'd use slow burn oils (100% synthetic or group 2)

This is my basic guideline now...

oilrecommend.jpg

What about the fact that the amount of 2 stroke oil injected varies depending on throttle opening and engine rpm, Yamaha Autolube has been around since the 60s…

Most modern 2 stroke machines have variable 2 stroke oil injection.

Back