2 qusetions--HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) wife's laptop (a 2004 IBM Thinkpad R52, win XP) will suddenly becomes very slow, and when I open the task manager shows 100%. it has Adaware, Spybot, CCleaner, and Norton. (no scans are running, when this happens), and nothing new has been done to to this laptop either...it happens randomly, and wife can't think of any specific task she was doing when this happens.

2) FF on my laptop has problems with Iframes. it doesn't display the list of topics on a discussion forum which it displayed fine before. ( I remember getting a java update recently). it shows up ok in IE. weird thing is i was able to view the same forum fine a few days ago. (can it be the java update?)
when I try to view the list of topics, I see the following message:
"Click Here to view alternate content for browsers that do not support IFRAMES.\"
when I click there, nothing happens at all...

any ideas as to why these things happen?
Thanks

What version of FF? 2.0 has been flawless for me, 1.5.x had issues with memory use and iFrames IIRC.

Pinning down what task is making the laptop slow is key to troubleshooting the problem...open task manager (CNTRL-ESC) and sort the processes by highest to lowest then monitor it for some time.

FF 2.0 on both laptops.
wife's laptop (ff 2.0) also has the iframe problem, so it must be FF thing.

I wonder if something changed with the website, because her laptop went thru no change at all.

here's a screenshot of mine when it happens:
(when I click on the message topic [Good managers] it used to drop down a list of all the posts that were replying to it; now I have to click the refresh button near the message to see them , and when I click on them, they used to open and display the message/post, just like in bitog for eg, but now nothing happens...IE shows it fine.
that "click here" that you see does nothing either):
when I hover the mouse over "click here...." link, I see on the taskbar the following:
javascript:loadMessag ()

iframe.jpg

I suggest using IE 6 or 7, or SeaMonkey (the new name of the plain-jane Mozilla browser) to see if it's operable on different browers...

Like TNS suggested, find the process that chews up all your resources, then type its name and 100% CPU in google.com - you ought to get some info. From my own experience, this happened to 2 of my coworkers, and each was a different issue (process) and each was really difficult to get rid of - there didn't seem to be a simple one-fits-all solution to getting rid of these cpu hogs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you know which process is taking the 100% CPU? Sometimes it can be legitimate - my wife's laptop sometimes goes 100% in the Media Center video applications sometimes.

As for frames, I would use IE. Some web sites are specifically written for IE (with the help of MS tools) and do not show on Firefox well. Firefx tends to interpret industry standards correctly while IE is more customized for MS needs.

still didn't have a lot of time to look into the 100% cpu problem on wife's laptop. I did see a lot of posts about FF using 100% cpu on ff forums; seems they don't have a fix to it. it hasn't happened again in the last 24 hrs again...will see what's going on when it happens again.

The inframes problem seems to be a problem with FF, Netscape, and seems everybody has the same problem...I still don't get how the frames were ok earlier, though, using the same browser.
Thanks for all the commenst. will update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back