2 oil change questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First does anyone else wear gloves when they change oil. For instance I get those throwaway gloves at the grocery store. I find that the dirt doesn't get under your fingernails, as well the oil normally takes many hand washings (sp) to get off.

Also I try to replace the crush washer each time. Is this overkill ?

Another trick, when I drain the oil I pour it in a 6 gallon gas can. It makes it much easier to dump when the time comes.

When I change my oil I use blue nitrile gloves that you can get almost everywhere. It is nice not to have grimey hands when I'm finished.

I don't replace the crush washer every oil change and it hasn't been an issue yet. It's probably better to change it every time.

I always where poly or latex throw-a-ways. I only replace the washer if needed. In my case Toyota recommends a new washer at each change but I've had no seepage without. I too have a plastic 5 gallon oil container which I empty when needed at the oil recycling depot.

Ditto on the throw aways, and replacing the gasket only if needed. I got a drain pan from WW that has an outlet on the end of it to pour it out. I got a plastic valve at Pep Boys that I put on it, and I just put the oil in the same 5 quart container that the new stuff came out of. Then drop it off at Jiffy Lube's door on my way to work.

Buy cheap box of later gloves at your local supermarket.

No need to replace the crush washer, but if you buy a Honda filter from the dealer.....it comes with a new crush washer.

Historically, I didn't wear gloves and I tried to make the washer last forever. However, two changes ago I switched to a Fumoto valve. Now the washer will last forever. Still no gloves.

I bought a container of 100 or so disposible surgical gloves. I bought them at Pep-Boys, so they are marketed for automotive use. I find them very handy when i change the filter.

I replace my crush-washer every 3rd or 4th time. However *every* time i turn it over (so the indention goes the other way).

I hope you dont plan on putting gas in that gas can again:) I find gallon coolant jugs to be very good for transporting used oil. However i usually buy my oil in those gallon jugs at walmart and just use the empty for my used oil.

Don't worry you are not being overly anal retentive or obsessive. OK, well maybe you are, but you are among friends here. We are all obsessive by the fact we even are members of this site;)

I generally don't get much oil on me when I change my truck's oil (thanks to a Fram Sure Drain), so I don't wear gloves. When I worked at a quick lube place I wore nitrile gloves though. Doing oil changes all day without some form of hand protection isn't good.

As long as you don't go crazy when tightening the drain plug, you shouldn't have to replace the washer everytime. Some cars use plastic or paper gaskets on the drain plug though and I would replace those everytime.

I have the surgical gloves, which I conveniently forget about until after I get my hands dirty.

As for the crush washers, on my Honda/Acura.... if you compared before and after squish, you would notice the difference. And I'd like to think that the soft aluminum is successfully filling any gap between the oil pan threads and the oil pan drain bolt.

Considering these washers can be bought on ebay for $0.20 each (search for Honda crush washer), or even cheaper if piggybacking when purchasing other maintenance parts online.... I can't see why you wouldn't install a new crush washer every time.
dunno.gif

Having said that.... now that I've switched from 3.33k dino OCI to 6k M1 OCI, I now dip into that bag of crush washers at a slower pace.
cheers.gif

I'll speak on the Nissan Crush washer. I replace every few times. A long time ago (80's ) I probably did 50 oil changes on a Nissan and changed the washer a couple of times..no problems. I am not faulting you for replacing it every time. But it honestly isn't necessary.

After you fill your car up with oil, save the empty gallon jug(s) of oil and dump the used oil into them at your next change. Simple. Doesn't work too well if you use quart containers though.

I agree with the blue nitrile gloves. These things are rated to stand up to some pretty vicious chemicals, so used oil should be a cakewalk for them (but it's not too good for your health either).

I've got a box of the cheap throwaway latex gloves in the house and another in the garage that I use for numerous things. I've changed my own oil for decades and have never replaced a crush washer and have never had a drain plug leak.

a second on the Fumoto valve and I wear rubber gloves for a lot of car work. The Fumoto with the nipple lets you put the oil directly in the recyleing container with no pouring from the drain pan.

I wear Mechanix gloves with blue nitrile gloves on top. The nitril will take some heat, too.

I replace the crush washers on the Hondas everytime. I get them for free at the Honda dealership. I usually ask for a handfull when buying ATF, PS Fluid, Coolant, etc.

I have three containers to put oil it-

5 gallon paint bucket
2 gallon peanut oil jug
and my drain pan holds 9 quarts.

So, I'm taking 8 gallons or so of used oil to the recycle center.

I've used latex/nitrile gloves before and now mechanix. The mechanix handle the heat better b/c they're thicker.

I used to not replace my crush washer, and I wouldn't get any drips, but there would be seepage, never enough to drip but enough to keep the area near the plug wet looking.

Now I have a ton of washers that I got for super cheap and the pan and plug are dry.

never changed the crush washer on my civic in 5 years, maybe walmart did when they changed it a couple times... i have to literally loosen the bolt about 3/4 of the way out before hot oil will come out at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back