2.7 Ecoboost - An overbuilt beast with a flaw

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but the 3.0 diesel specifies an 180 month, 150k mile interval for their belt in oil. Does that interval make sense to adopt to a 2.7 eco boost as preventative maintenance?

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but the 3.0 diesel specifies an 180 month, 150k mile interval for their belt in oil. Does that interval make sense to adopt to a 2.7 eco boost as preventative maintenance?
Different motor oil rating, with different kind of blowby, no? Don’t want to say it’s apples and oranges, but black diesel oil (soot loading) is normal for a diesel, and gasoline engines have different chemistry as the oil loads up. So I have to wonder, if the belt is impacted by what is in the oil, then taking information from one engine type to the other might not be correct.

Maybe the best way to manage a risky belt driven oil pump is to simply have a separate oil pressure switch that cuts ignition after 10 seconds at 5PSI or less.

The thing that prompted my comment about Nader was that he was the one who realized that the most efficient way to increase profits at Ford was to cut production costs. I'm paraphrasing, but he is said to have said something like "If we can save 10 cents per car and build 100,000 cars, that's $10,000. Around here we'll kill for a buck (per car)".

Now think of all the times you've been frustrated by a cheap broken factory part, and thought "What would it have cost them to have made this just a little bit better?"
I meant McNamara, not Nader.

The bean counters figure that 90% of the owners will hit 150k and in 10-12 years and pay for the replacement. It’s the other 10% that ford will have to deal with the.
It’s a reasonable target. The only issue I see with all the tech is simply Ford. They have a long history of messing up occasionally even the simple stuff.

I read through this and can only add my truck observations on a 2016 2.7 ecoboost. I have had no problems with mine other than an alternator. I tow infrequently with this truck, it is mostly a family ride. I've been all over the USA in this one, from Florida to Montana.

143,000 with 5-6k oil changes.

Him and Toyota and Honda.
in what world are you living, the older Toyotas were terrible and the last gen tundra was rated poor in the small overlap crash test ratings. people just type whatever they feel is correct.

We are also talking about DI engines so it's not only oil but some fuel reaching that belt.

I'm adding to this thread because it is another dead 2.7.

Cliff notes for anyone that doesn't want to watch the vid.

~130k (IIRC) on the motor. Came out of an F150.

It looks to be well maintained, but the pistons are dirtier than I would expect given the lack of varnish elsewhere in the engine.

The crank and rod bearings are flipping IMMACULATE. To my eyes they look brand spanking new.

There is some odd wear on a chain guide.

Backside of the valves...ehh, better than DI only, but nowhere near as clean as port injection only.

Engine died from a severely burned valve.

No signs of overheating.

I'm still not impressed with the belt-driven oil pump. The last 2.7 there was much speculation that overheating could have damaged the belt, no such overheating is apparent in this motor, but the belt is still.....meh.

If they would put an aluminum oil pan on this thing and put a chain on the oil pump I would be all in on this motor. My next truck will probably have one anyways, but one can wish.

Last edited:
I'm adding to this thread because it is another dead 2.7.

Cliff notes for anyone that doesn't want to watch the vid.

~130k (IIRC) on the motor. Came out of an F150.

It looks to be well maintained, but the pistons are dirtier than I would expect given the lack of varnish elsewhere in the engine.

The crank and rod bearings are flipping IMMACULATE. To my eyes they look brand spanking new.

Backside of the valves...ehh, better than DI only, but nowhere near as clean as port injection only.

Engine died from a severely burned valve.

No signs of overheating.

I'm still not impressed with the belt-driven oil pump. The last 2.7 there was much speculation that overheating could have damaged the belt, no such overheating is apparent in this motor, but the belt is still.....meh.

If they would put an aluminum oil pan on this thing and put a chain on the oil pump I would be all in on this motor. My next truck will probably have one anyways, but one can wish.

Why did Ford need both the 2.7L and the 3.5L eB’s ?

Why did Ford need both the 2.7L and the 3.5L eB’s ?
🤷‍♂️

I stopped questioning car companies a long time ago.

I've also not done a lot of research into it. Pretty sure the 2.7 was a clean sheet design, and the 3.5 wasn't? Maybe they meant to replace the 3.5's with the 2.7 and then got caught up in the HP wars and decided they couldn't. No idea though, just pure speculation out of the netherregions on that.

🤷‍♂️

I stopped questioning car companies a long time ago.

I've also not done a lot of research into it. Pretty sure the 2.7 was a clean sheet design, and the 3.5 wasn't? Maybe they meant to replace the 3.5's with the 2.7 and then got caught up in the HP wars and decided they couldn't. No idea though, just pure speculation out of the netherregions on that.
Copy that - BiL’s 2015 3.5L F150 has been perfect …
… happy to see the GM 2.7L be a large bore I4 “diesel like” gasser - once all the kinks are out it should be a good mill … easier to service than the tight V’s …

Copy that - BiL’s 2015 3.5L F150 has been perfect …
… happy to see the GM 2.7L be a large bore I4 “diesel like” gasser - once all the kinks are out it should be a good mill … easier to service than the tight V’s …
50K on my little 2.3 and it has been spot on. No complaints out of that little bugger. It gets worked hard and keeps on asking for more.

Routine maintenance on it is a snap as well. Plugs/coils = super simple.

Reactions: 4WD
If the light went out - then how was it abused. Should the light not stay on? Not sure how I feel about that, but I think it should stay on?

When the revs drop, less oil per minute gets pumped. Oil drains back to the sump at a constant speed depending on viscosity. So the drain back caught up with the oil being pumped up at idle. Another reason not to push a cold engine, you could end up with all oil on top and none in the sump if the levels were low-ish to start with

Saw that vid last night. Got confused about the dead cylinder—he seemed to forget how much the piston rocked in the bore. Although nothing was found when it was out, bore was ok as was the piston.

Fair amount of metal, yet no real wear. Made me wonder if this was used for heavy towing on a regular basis. Consistent yet low wear, just enough to put metal in the oil? guessing all from the cylinder walls, they were getting polished.

Whoever owned it seemed to take good care of it, at least regular oil changes. It still died though.

Makes me wonder now. Many insist that turbo motors won’t last. But that bottom end was practically pristine—and stout. Yet a fair amount of bore wear. Do smaller diameter pistons have higher wear from less surface area, or is this from short rod length and resulting high forces on the walls?

Again, I think this was used for towing, and I wonder if it got overheated at some point, so maybe it was all pretty sudden, once temperatures spiked, the walls wore, and the valve cracked. Maybe it was all fine a week before.

That oil pump belt looked ok, but I wonder if cracking doesn’t go exponentially up with time and age.

Back