2- 2019 Cadillacs that a dealer apparently couldn't sell new ... now 'used'.

Dealer gets a kickback from factory when car is sold. Didnt they once play games with in service date to get incentive from factory without actually selling the car. I remember this being a thing back in the day not sure if it is still happening

Maybe Cadillac does not want Zombie cars showing up in their published monthly yearly sales and gave incentives to dealers to rid themselves of them.

Ahhh zombie cars… in the last quarter Stellantis somehow sold 2 Chrysler 200’s and a Dodge Dart, which both ended production in 2016!

I feel bad for the person who bought the Dart, and I hope those 200’s at least had the v6….

Does America not have any laws about how old a vehicle can be when it’s first registered and still be classed as new? In the UK a vehicle can be a maximum of two years old (from build date) when it’s first registered as new. Over this it gets a age related plate that is based on its build date so a dealer would always register a car before it gets to two years old then put it on the used pitch. I’ve seen cars on the used pitch with 4 miles on them. Can also be other reasons when emissions laws change sometimes older stock has to be registered before a certain date.

the manufacturer pays for the warranty, not the dealer, the dealer wants a factory warranty on their inventory. Maybe it's just a way to market them to a different audience..one who may look at used but not new. A 'picky' new buyer may not be interested in a 2 yr old new car with lot rot...but a savvy used buyer may feel they've found the buy of a lifetime.
I agree, book keeping and 'sold' gets more new stock

Most likely. Could maybe write off the depreciation
Floorplan also plays a role. Dealerships are paying a bank(not their dealership chain) a loan to keep cars in inventory. The longer a car sits at the dealership, the more they pay on their floorplanning loan.

The invoice for a car sold to the dealership may have a lienholder like a bank on it. When I worked at the dealership some 10+ years ago, BofA was doing Hendrick’s floorplan.

Back