1zzfe Timing Chain Tensioner leak

Neighbor has a timing chain tensioner leak (and a valve cover gasket), pretty common failure point on those motors. Asked me for advice and I told them to get it replaced. They went to the mechanic who does the cars oil change said stated if you not loosing oil on the dipstick its not a pressing concern. Is this decent advice or are they just waiting for a bigger repair?

Maxlife red bottle always seems to be a good bandaid when this happens, if one doesn't want to dump a bunch of money into an older vehicle. ATP-205 if you're desperate...

One thing to keep in mind is, if the leak gets worse, it still will be cheaper to fix it then to get a replacement car. 2 months ago, the trans in my '02 explorer went. I figured I would just go get another used car to replace it. The rest of the car was fine, and I don't drive it as much as I used to, but the price if used cars is nuts. looking back I probably could have fixed it for less than buying a replacement car.,,

Pretty easy job. Just replace it.
It is pretty easy to do. Having the valve cover off is the ideal way to replace the timing chain tensioner o-ring since it allows you to properly unlock the tensioner.

Keep in mind that the timing covers can also leak.

It is pretty easy to do. Having the valve cover off is the ideal way to replace the timing chain tensioner o-ring since it allows you to properly unlock the tensioner.

Keep in mind that the timing covers can also leak.
I'll pass that along. I dont know why the mechanic mentioned not to worry. The back of the engine is coated with heavy coating of oil.

I'll pass that along. I dont know why the mechanic mentioned not to worry. The back of the engine is coated with heavy coating of oil.
I'd start with the chain tensioner o-ring, but it would not surprise me if it is also leaking from the timing cover. These cars are getting pretty old.

Passed that info the other day, I think they are going to order an Aftermarket Cloyes Tensioner and a Fel pro valve cover gasket kit and get it done. Not my car but I would have done spent the extra on the parts counter OEM stuff.

Back