1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 414k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sis had a 1999 in black. It became a girl's first vehicle with 171,000 miles on it. It sparkled.
The only ones which looked better were the two red ones in the immediate area. They sparkled more.
It's the non-metalic paint. Those straight paint colors always last longer than metalic.

....and I was impressed by a dealership worker's blue '97 with 250,000.

Right on.

Running a little hotter than norma these days with 414K miles on the unit...that is a lot of distance. You clearly have done the maintenance. No doubt the engine bay is clean as well.

In addressing the running a little hotter....
I would look to see how much debris has gotten in between the fins of the A/C condenser and/or radiator. Bugs that get wedged in over time, rain then dirt on top creating a film that grows over time can plug the airways in between the fins. Bent fins from bugs random pebbles can reduce airflow. I would look to check the condition of the outside of the A/C condenser and/or radiator before troubleshooting the insides of them.

Last edited:
Sounds like a perfect candidate for staying the course... Whatever you've done got you this far, no need to change it up.

As far as cooling goes, you don't describe when it runs hotter. Is it at idle? Running down the freeway? With the A/C on? Etc... If the radiator has never been changed, at this point it doesn't owe you anything, and they do lose some efficiency over the years due to deposits building up in them. Otherwise, fan clutch is another suspect, and same for the water pump if it has a ton of miles on it.

Nice rig. We enjoyed our 88 Cherokee for many years, till the lack of shoulder belts in the back seat meant it wouldn't work with booster seats for the kids...

My dad's 94 XJ Sport 4x4 has jut over 211k. I run Supertech synthetic 10w30 in it year round and seems to be doing great....Other than 2 leaky valve cover gaskets haha.

Coolant nice and clean?
You can check if your fan clutch is bad by turning the car off and immediately seeing if the mechanical fan keeps turning. If it does, then its done and need replacement.

I would check your coolant temp via OBD vs the gauge cluster as its notoriously wrong.

My 1991 used to run hot on a regular basis during the summer.

Like suggested above, I would check your fan clutch (cheap replacement). And replace the thermostat.

I did this for mine, and also replaced the radiator later to a CSF brand 3-core design, and added some Water Wetter formula to the coolant.

After that, it ran about 8-10 degrees cooler. (would suggest NOT the Champion brand of radiator if you upgrade)

Last edited:
Welcome!!!

I'd say stay the course with current regiment.

More importantly, I need more pictures. Please more pictures.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back