1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 414k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First car I ever bought nearly 21 years ago with 7.3 miles on odometer today has just over 414k trouble free miles on her never missing oil change intervals of 3k or less using 10w30 winter 10w40 summers conventional of course. SO NOW while she still runs like a swiss watch I'm caught up in reading how people with high mileage 4.0's use 15w40 weights and even switched over to synthetics!?! The wife prays it blows itself up because I keep the 70k dollar suv outside in bad weather over my beloved first ever car, I Tully understand and relate to that movie "Christine" I just wanna do what's best for the engine. Zero oil burn and only thing I notice is she runs hotter than she used too back in the day, maybe a heavier oil might remedy?

Screenshot_20190527-231020_Dropbox.jpg

Those monochrome XJs are so cool. My friend's dad had a black one we used to drive around in. His had the older alloy wheels with the holes drilled in them, it was a pretty sweet ride for the mid-2000s.

I like the monochrome red better, screams 1990s!

welcome2.gif
That's quite an achievement and it looks almost new! I'm jealous. Manual or automatic?

Totally agree with the posts above - keep doing what has worked for you all these years....this being BITOG, what oil(s) have you used?

Cooling issues could be some scaling on the inside of the radiator reducing cooling ability. If it runs cool in winter and hotter in summer then a new radiator may be in your future. Changing oils won't make a difference.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! No sense in trying to fix it till it is broken! That is also by far the cleanest XJ I've seen in a very long time. Looks good, just keep doing what you've been doing and I bet you get another 414,000 out of it

Originally Posted by JLTD
welcome2.gif
That's quite an achievement and it looks almost new! I'm jealous. Manual or automatic?

Totally agree with the posts above - keep doing what has worked for you all these years....this being BITOG, what oil(s) have you used?

Cooling issues could be some scaling on the inside of the radiator reducing cooling ability. If it runs cool in winter and hotter in summer then a new radiator may be in your future. Changing oils won't make a difference.

+1 on the new rad. It's never been changed in 21 years? My 22 year old civic has had the rad changed twice.

Nice ride, keep on doing what your doing.

Welcome to the forum. That is pretty impressive. Can you describe the driving conditions? Eg, short tripped, long highway runs, a combo, whatever?

Welcome aboard! Keep on doing what your doing. That is a nice looking Jeep but I might have to agree with your wife keeping the expensive vehicle inside.
Thats a lot of miles and I hope you make it many more.

Awesome. I agree to keep doing what you're doing. Maybe check the compression next time the plugs are out.

414K miles is quite a feat...congrats. Jeep looks sweet, my buddy has one and other than a pita to get in the rear seats..lol, it's a highly capable platform.

Radiators do lose their ability to transfer heat effectively. I would try a new radiator since it's the original and you won't blindly be throwing parts at it....would be a good investment.

This is really cool. Congrats on a long-lived XJ! They are highly underrated vehicles in my opinion and it's awesome to see one so well kept. I agree with the above- a new radiator might be in your future. I wouldn't change anything with your maintenance program.

Awesome! Looks very clean as well! My first car was a 1990 XJ Limited. I currently have a 2000. Have you replaced any parts of the cooling system? I recommend the water pump, fan clutch (OEM), thermostat (Stant Super Stat 195*), and radiator. I have a CSF 3 row radiator in mine, and it really helped stabilize the temps. I used to run 200-220 depending on the ambient temperature, now it stays right at 200-205. Congrats on the mileage achievement, it deserves to be parked inside, haha.
grin2.gif

I've seen higher mileage on Mopar products than anything else. I had one of those I bought new in 1999. Growing kids required a Durango 5 years later.

Just sold my 1998 XJ. Same color! 97k on the odometer. Would have loved to have kept it for myself. My daughter didn't like it, so we sold it to purchase something else for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back