1998 Corolla Catalytic Converter Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a dilemma, I have a working catalytic convertor from a 2001 Celica GT, which I changed out as a precaution but wasn't necessary.

I kept it, just in case it would have been required elsewhere.

Now on my sister's corolla I can get a universal catalytic convertor which will have to be welded on or I could use the 01 celica gt catalytic convertor which has been sitting for a year now.

on AAP website it lists:
MagnaFlow Universal Convertor part # 448004 & 448005 as compatible for both the 98 corolla & 01 celica gt.

MagnaFlow Universal Convertor part # 51233 is for 01 celica gt
MagnaFlow Universal Convertor part # 99204HM is for 98 corolla

That listing is very confusing to me, what would you guys suggest? either way a catalytic convertor has to be welded on, and will be done by one of us so no labor cost.

They both have similar engines (1zz-fe vs 1zz-fed) though their ECUs are different

Last edited:
You changed out your cat as a precaution? To what?

If you google cat, you can find manufacturers that make OE type installations reasonably chaeply. At least you'd get new, and you dont really want to go thru the hassle and expense of welding twice of this one should fail. Unless this is a short term ownership situation.

If you go the re use route, it should work fine, just make sure you get the flow direction right.

Originally Posted By: Noey
You changed out your cat as a precaution? To what?

If you google cat, you can find manufacturers that make OE type installations reasonably chaeply. At least you'd get new, and you dont really want to go thru the hassle and expense of welding twice of this one should fail. Unless this is a short term ownership situation.

If you go the re use route, it should work fine, just make sure you get the flow direction right.

the "extra" catalytic convertor I have is from the 01 celica gt I have, I changed it out as a precaution when the car had an oil consumption fix done to it, I wasn't sure what was causing the check engine light, the oil getting past the valves or 02 sensors/catalytic convertor going bad, even though I now realize that it was only the oil leaking past the valves that was throwing that code since I got the same mileage before and after the oil consumption fix.

if the 02 sensor/catalytic convertors are bad your mpgs will be awful, know this from experience of fixing our other 2 cars with the same 1zz-fe in them as my 01 celica gt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back