1998 Accord - P0420 - Cat?

Checking for and fixing any exhaust leaks should be your first task. Then would be replacing the O2 sensor(s). After that, then it's probably the cat.

Looking at Rock Auto, the cat doesn't look like it would be too hard to replace yourself if necessary with just two flanges and six bolts, but there is certainly a price premium for the CARB models. Yikes.

How picky is CA regarding fixing emissions/exhausts on 23 year old cars?
Ca has the strictest emission tests in the USA

The 420 code means that the cat is not as efficient as it should be. Could be a bad cat. But before ypu go chasing you're tail you need to find out why it stalls. That could very well be the real problem and fixing that may also stop the code.

Recognizable by who? What do you care what it looks like. Get the non-stainless steel type. In 2 weeks you won't be able to tell it's not original.
Kommiefornia... lol, besides, it looks like a butcher job

Recognizable by who? What do you care what it looks like. Get the non-stainless steel type. In 2 weeks you won't be able to tell it's not original.
While I agree with you, I don't live in a state where they do visual inspection. I think they're supposed to, but given the low pay I don't think the shops are going to go looking. As long as the OBD readout is happy, they're happy.

But other states? good money to be made I bet, looking for those trying to get around the rules.

While I agree with you, I don't live in a state where they do visual inspection. I think they're supposed to, but given the low pay I don't think the shops are going to go looking. As long as the OBD readout is happy, they're happy.

But other states? good money to be made I bet, looking for those trying to get around the rules.
They raise the car on a lift during an emissions inspection? Find that hard to believe. Around here they have self-service kiosks. Plug the cable into the OBD2 port. Press a few buttons. Done.

They raise the car on a lift during an emissions inspection? Find that hard to believe. Around here they have self-service kiosks. Plug the cable into the OBD2 port. Press a few buttons. Done.
No but the guy will get on all fours and look. The state sends out bait cars hoping to catch a smog shop not looking. Fines start at $1k for a minor violation all the way up to permanently pulling a busisness license for a major offense.

Kommiefornia... lol, besides, it looks like a butcher job
Looks fine to me. Doubt most of those that work there would even know it's not original after it got some patina.

large.jpg

Around here, yes. But that's because they do a safety inspection too. Only if you fail and get the emissions fail sticker (so as to get another 30 days or whatever to pass emissions) would they skip on putting it on a lift.

I don't feel like looking CA laws but a quick google search indicates that a visual inspection is done.

Looks like Chris has jumped in. Might be hard to see an O2 bung but then again, it's probably the first thing they'd look for, since it's the most recommended hack to do.

The smog techs look under the car where appropriate. They will get in deep yogurt for passing a bad test; they don't mess around.
Regardless, I am too old to Mickey Mouse the system.
My goal is to get the car right so Cindy has dependable wheels until she gets back on her feet. All good.

I appreciate all the replies.

Did you ever get your stalling problem fixed? I would say Ignition switch, Main relay, Distributor, Pray its not your fuel pump.

What about a spacer for the downstream O2 sensor?
It works... I did that to my 2007 Honda Accord SE with a 2.4 engine...Started to get that code and replaced the o2 and it still came back. Then I installed the spacer at around 184000 miles and as of trading it in at 386000 the code never came back....

Did you ever get your stalling problem fixed? I would say Ignition switch, Main relay, Distributor, Pray its not your fuel pump.
Main relay. See the cracked solder joint? I hate to admit I replaced the distributor module, then distributor then ignition switch and finally the main relay.
New cat as well...

Attachments

• PXL_20210814_195249281.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210814_195249281.MP.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 20
Back